No announcement yet.

How loud is a straight pipe exhaust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My B6 is 1 7/8" pipe, no cat, and a V force muffler at the back. It's annoying but I like it!!!
    Chuck
    Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
    If money will fix it, it's not broken
    91 GL -Ol' Rusty
    93 GL - Lil Red
    91 L - Tweetystiva
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

I had a fart-can on my 91 all stock but the can and it would kill my ears in no time.

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
        i have no cat or muffler on my car, the exhaust runs to the rear turbo & its a very nice tone inside the car but very loud if you are behind me when i open her up.
        I dont get it, with that muffler hanging off the back your car should be rather quite, hey is that the weight saver kind of muffler. lol
        Last edited by sc72; 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

i got the cat removed on my car the first day i had it. its louder than a stocker obviously but it runs better and i like it lol little resonation on down shifts
          -1991 L 238k AC/Cruise Josh's future DD from neanderpaul, the clean slate!

-1991 GL 171k AC/Rust free Jake's future DD (thanks kevin!)

-1993 L B6T swapped auto(thanks rob!) 88k was 123whp 15.8 at 87mph currently undergoing surgery

-1989 LX crazy project car you'll all see one day! (hopefully fm8 )

Have one hydro g and xr2 mid shaft for sale super cheap! PM me!

we have owned 10 of these cars to date and we're only 20 hahah.. call it an obsession!

Comment

yeah greg custom made it
            Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

My b6 has a cat and 2.25" catback with a dtm and its louder than the bp with no cat
              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Right now my exhaust rusted out right before the cat so I have literately no exhaust. Its coming straight out of the downpipe. Ridiculously loud, but sounds totally brutal. I love it. When I swap engines I'm going to get a new exhaust system though because I'm probably getting hearing damage and the fumes are bad when I'm stopped at a light
                1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
                1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
                2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

i have hearing damage from daily driving with my 2 1/2 cat back with a fart can and I kept the silencer in and it still gave me ringing ears everytime.

Comment

I just got a brand new Borla system made for a Scion tC for $21 that I'm going to cut up and use for the Festiva. Should sound real nice I hope.
                    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                    sigpic
                    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
                      I just got a brand new Borla system made for a Scion tC for $21 that I'm going to cut up and use for the Festiva. Should sound real nice I hope.
                      Did you get a deal, or is there a source?
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                        Did you get a deal, or is there a source?
                        Got a deal from work. I work for a Toyota Distributor and they had a bunch of extra sample accessories sitting on a shelf so they had a silents auction and donated all of the proceeds to the American Heart Association. They had a bunch of stuff but just a few things that could be used for a Festiva. Plus we had the stipulation that we weren't allowed to get caught selling things after we bought them. I got another Corolla Borla system for $11 that I'm going to use for a different car and a Yaris Spoiler for $5 that I'm going to try to fit the the Festiva and roll of LEDs for $10.

20160108_181050.jpg
                        Last edited by firebush357; 01-11-2016, 01:42 PM.
                        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
                        sigpic
                        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
                        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
                        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
                        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
                        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Awesome deal! The borla will sound great.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

On my 1.3l I had ordered the FMS exhaust, put the car on a lift to change it out, hammered all the stuffing out of the cat, and of course the cat-back system didnt' fit. I had to drive it home with the exhaust manifold and hollowed out cat, and it was unbelievably loud.

With the bosal muffler on, it wasn't as loud, but still way louder than your average loud car. Do not recommend.

Comment

Cat and 1 7/8" straight pipe to the 2" 'muffler substitute pipe'. A bit louder but not overwhelming. At least i don't think so....LOL.

Comment

I'll sum it up. Unless a whipping a turbine on the way out, any 4banger off the Manifold is going to sound gross.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by jason_; 01-31-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X