Help with parts selection for small turbo on my 1.3L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with parts selection for small turbo on my 1.3L

I recently bought a 93L, which someone spotted on CL and posted here.I got it from the original owner and it has just over 85k miles on it.

On the way home the catalytic converter busted clean in two, prompting a need for a whole new exhaust system.

I stumbled across a few people that have installed a turbo on these engines successfully and economically. Since I have never done a turbo install I thought it may be fun. I am very mechanical and have access to all forms of tools and machines.

So with that being said, what should I use for a reliable, low boost set-up? I would like to leave the stock injectors, pump, and ECU alone, like the threads I read. No intercooler either. Just the basics to start with.

What model turbo should I use? What FMU is required? etc.

Turbo experts, please steer me in the right direction.

the cat might still be worth money at a recyclers, I'd seriously take that in and see what they'll give you for it.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

When you start boosting ordinary motors: one) the gains will not be as spectacular as you'd think, and two) engine life is gonna drop like a stone. That being said B3s are tough little suckers all things considered. But bolting in a Mazda B6 or a B8 is going to net you similar gains and you likely won't blow up the motor while you're at it.

Comment

first gen b6 is a good upgrade 20 more hp. if u are turboing a b3 do it with no cat( if no state inspection needed) & you will get same hp as early model b6 plus more torque
        Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

With the right fueling and management, the b3 should take small amounts of boost all day. Provided the engine is in decent shape to start.

Find a K03 off a VW 1.8t. Nice and small, quick spool. Those engines hit peak torque at like 1800 rpm.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Not too concerned with power gains. 20hp is fine with me.
            No plans for an engine swap. More after a little help to get rolling and keep my 50mpg.

Comment

Not that I'm against motor swaps. Ive done a lot of them. If I learn these festivas I definately would like another with a BP swap.
              Last edited by derrick adams; 07-21-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

With mattdickmeyers header on your n/a b3
                It's rated for a 9ftlb 14hp increase in power.

With his adjustable fuel pressure regulator
                it would be a lot cheaper than a turbo setup
                Or a motor swap.
                Last edited by rmoltis; 07-21-2013, 08:20 PM.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

If 20hp is all you want a b6 swap is perfect. And its easier than fabbing up a turbo setup. Its as easy as swapping in another stock engine.

Alternatively you can spend the money and deck out the b3 with go fast goodies like mentioned above.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Gonna bump this, and avoid another thread start.

Just cleanly and completely went through my b3 a while ago.

Been pondering to mildly boost it, easily under 10# for starters, assuming she pumps air easily into factory intake, if not, it'll give me more head room beecaauuse.....

I'm easily 10.5, maybe 11:1 ratio after my head shave, smaller dished pistons, and 020 over. , so how much fire am I playing with trying to boost something that's already got a good squeeze?

Obviously I'll stay with 93 octane, and keep water jackets cool.

I have 3 other b3 blocks, and heads along, so, if it breaks, just smile and say oops.

I know alot of people here are, hmmHm, proud of their work, which I can respect and understand, While some mostly break transmissions, and not engines, I have no feelings or respect for cars. They're an expense, no matter how you look at it. May as well laugh at it when it breaks.

I'm not afraid to break either the gearbox or power plant. . Just car parts. New, old, tough, or weak, it'll all eventually wear out and break. When a rod pokes out the oil pan, drag it home, and bolt in a other.

So, step one, any links of turbo specs, bolt on friendly, fatter injectors that are factory fuel rail friendly, etc etc?

. I'd like to see how stout this plays out on a daily driver, and mpg comparison.

I'd like to play into this cheaply, and have the opportunity to revert easily to stock if the decision arises.

If I keep the habit of rolling into the power band, and avoid gearbox shock, wheel hops and snaps, she should hold up.

So thanks ahead.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Do it dood

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Comment

do it! I want to boost my b6 single cam in a big way.

a member gauge_half_inch here boosted his b6 with a street cam in it and got great results. maybe get a street cam and throw it in the b3 and see if you get the same results
                        -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                        -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                          do it! I want to boost my b6 single cam in a big way.

a member gauge_half_inch here boosted his b6 with a street cam in it and got great results. maybe get a street cam and throw it in the b3 and see if you get the same results
                          How did your boosted b6 hold up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by herk518 View Post
                            How did your boosted b6 hold up

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                            Generally, the head isn't designed for boost. The issue everyone has at higher boost levels is fuel separation. When the fuel gets slung out of the air when it takes the right radius bend of the intake port. But it should be ok at 6psi.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Guys run 12 psi + in b6d engines all the time. But that head port shape was actually designed for turbo operation by Mazda.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X