Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB71
    HappyMom,

That's a common misconception about CNG/LPG and Hydrogen. The tanks required by NHTSA are capable of withstanding a high power rifle round at point-blank range without rupturing.
    Phew, I thought he was going to plonk a couple of 20lb barbecue tanks in his hatch.

I've heard that you also do not go very far on full tank of gas with CNG, not sure about propane. That would also be good information to know before starting a conversion.
    I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

ya that is one of the things i am also looking at :-)

Comment

You could look into propane injected methenated bio-diesel. um. With a turbo!

Thats real total ultimate power that will light up even the most untechnical of tree-hugging cocktail parties. Brewing your own fuel from an almost limitless supply of chinese restraunt used cooking oil with some methanol emulsification, the sitting on an explosive bottle feeling of propane ... yes you would be the coolest of the tech-cool.

You could try for an HDDI engine, then with the right computer tuning you could run any fuel you wanted to -- without a spark. This opens up the possibliity for the standard CNG and LPG, and non-standard be the first on your block to run your car on wood chips (the waste is good charcoal for your BBQ!), buffalo chips (not for the BBQ), chaff (tiny shreaded pieces of paper), and more...

WARNING: Author knows no more about these subjects than one can get from reading Popular Science...

But I digress. So did you check with LPG-kits.com yet?

Comment

In WWII natural gas was cheaper than gasoline so some people would fill giant bags with it, strap them to the roof of the car, and power it that way.

My grandfather drove a moving van powered this way during the war.

Regards,

Tim
          White '89L auto - Sold!
          Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

no i haven't I just had an idea and tosses it in the air. I am sooo sick of paying over $2 at the pump for the cheap shit it is unreal!

Comment

well, get ready to bend over and grab your ankles! crude prices just shot up to an all time high, and they expect the average price to be about $3.00/gal by the summer!
              Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Bright Blue 93 GL (1.6 8v, 5spd) (Hula-Baloo)
              Performance Red 94 Aspire SE (Stimpson)

Comment

they are out of there freakin minds!!! :x

Comment

my apologies to everyone, i was trying to argue somthing with fb71 for which he was not.

as for my qualifications, being a forklift repair tech for many years has given me enough knowledge to comfortably talk about peopane and cng fumigation.

it is actually quite easy to fill a propane or cng car or forklift. you remove the damned tank and drop it off at a fueling facility. anyone who can refill bbq grills can refill a tank for you.

as long as you have 2 or more tanks to alternate with you will never run out of fuel.

Comment

I agree. If you have the luxury of a removable tank, then its not very inconvenient. Automotive spec tanks, however, are required to be permanently fastened. And thanks for the background info. With me, that gives you that much more creed.
                    Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

what do you mean by autmotive spec tank. does this statement imply that there is some sort of sanctioning body which specs alternative fuel tanks?

Comment

NHTSA has very specific regulations regarding the construction and mounting of cng/lpg tanks in vehicles licensed for highway usage. The feds like to stick their nose into everything. The tanks are a specially constructed composite, multi-fibre shell, and are required to have specific type safety valves. The aluminum tanks used on tugs, forktrucks, etc are illegal to run on the highway.
                        Jim DeAngelis

kittens give Morbo gas!!

Comment

lol why gas?

Why not do the right thing and go straight for alcohol?

Now i'm not going to right out a lecture but it burns cleanr then petrol and has a higher octane 'rating' (no it doesn't have octane but it's anhydros alcohol ie 100% is suppose to be 114)

Really before you all flame my third post on this forum read this link:

AND how YOU CAN GET IT IN THE STATES

http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

Lastly all though i live in australia i am Brazilian and since i was born alcohol cars have been available alongside the petrol cousins and i know there are heaps of myths cocerning them most not true. Chevrolet & Ford as well as Volkswagon & Fiat offer alcohol variants. The Chevrolet Omega alcohol model outperforms the petrol in every aspect (amazing on account that the fuel air ratio is 30% richer yet it's properties in the engine let it run just as efficient)
                          :angel12:-Santos
                          I Officially Hate Spelling Cow v1.6.0

Comment

Working...
                          X