Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JPT View Post
    That's a good idea.

BTW, you can use Festiva LCAs (I'm using them). The fit is tighter than stock, but works just fine.
    Don't the festi lcas give you positive camber???
    1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Originally posted by moz View Post
      Don't the festi lcas give you positive camber???
      I have just a touch of positive camber, but that's because I need to cut more off my springs (Rio suspensions raise the car up about 2 inches). I had huge positive camber with uncut springs. Now I have 1 1/2 coils cut. Need to take off a bit more.

Aspire LCAs would probably work, considering that Rio axles are a bit longer than stock.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

I know piece by piece 90% of it bolts on, but i wonder if just swapping the whole cross member and rolling it under a festiva would bolt up too with minimal welding and fabbing...You have to engineer trans mounts and passenger engine mount if you use a DOHC with f/g series anyway. Yes i understand you have to take everything off to measure and install but the peace of mind of all geometry being simply a rio underhood has merit. If you get a wider track, no wheel bearing stresses and no camber at all that is a huge bonus
        Last edited by getnpsi; 07-26-2013, 12:38 PM.
        1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by geoacuraisuzu View Post
          will do now can someone hook me up with the how to on the wiring of the bp in to my festy?
          here is matshwabs guide that got lost along the way

hopefully this link works. I uploaded it to a host site. ummm cough THIS THING SHOULD REALLY BE STICKIED MODDERS cough cough

the wireing is pretty basic plug and play just have to run 2 wires if you want the vics but if you don't want that you can just tie the butterflies open. oh and you have to swap the injector harness out eazy peazy
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
            I know piece by piece 90% of it bolts on, but i wonder if just swapping the whole cross member and rolling it under a festiva would bolt up too with minimal welding and fabbing...You have to engineer trans mounts and passenger engine mount if you use a DOHC with f/g series anyway. Yes i understand you have to take everything off to measure and install but the peace of mind of all geometry being simply a rio underhood has merit. If you get a wider track, no wheel bearing stresses and no camber at all that is a huge bonus
            The Rio cross member is quite a bit different than the Festy one. That doesn't mean that you can't make it work, I just didn't want to try.

Comment

Thank you bobbyspider! I've been trying to get a copy of that pdf for a while!

Comment

Watching that guy make v6 festivas means some things are easier that way. As I said so much of it is a direct bolt on you just fudge what is left. If people do these kia swaps and encounter binding, ridiculous tire wear, axles popping out or random snapping of their axles in the future as they put more and more daily driven and racing miles under them, that would be an end all solution. Some people on here made their own crossmembers out of necessity from rust, some for performance, and, some did this just because they can. I wish i had paid vacations and could do more than speculate in front of the computer.
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

no prob! I downloaded it a few years back when I was doing my swap so I could print it out (bp bible lol) then I realized recently that the old link was broken and was glad I downloaded it. whats kinda weird is that today is the pioneer and writer of the guide himself, the great and world known mattshwab so you should say happy bday and thank him for it
                  -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                  -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

thank you all for your help and input you guys are so nice here

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
                      If you're willing to go that far, you may as well make a custom x member.
                      For track use I wouldn't look past a cable g series off a Capri xr2. But if I were using the Rio one I'd try to source a Capri half shaft and use Capri axles.
                      Been tried and tested by the majority of swappers on this forum. And youll have less torque steer, and better traction.
                      1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Wait:
                        If the Rio auto bolts in and the Rio driveshafts work. And from that, the Rio b6 bolts in.....Oooh major front end upgrade is possible just from the Rio alone. So grab Rio: ecu/ harness, engine (16v dohc if possible) long side of the Axel for festiva/Rio Axel mashup for strength purposes, and front brake swap stuff. Wonder what the gearing in the Rio box is like compared to our auto festivas......
                        Fast....Women are fast
                        Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

hmmmm, it is a 4 speed
                          1990 Festiva L "puddles". 187,000 mi. All stock, B8 coming this fall to a festiva near you

Do not write below this line; for office use only

Comment

Rios got a b5. You guys should go pull some Rio parts and try to put them on before you get your hopes up too much.
                            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I like the idea of a Rio automatic, but I'd stay away from the engines. They have a tendency to eat timing belts. Sometimes in less than 50,000 miles. They are "interference" engines. This means that if the timing belt breaks, the pistons slam into the valves. This usually means that you can kiss that engine goodbye.

Comment

Ahh export Rios got b6... My bad
                                Sephias and ..... Got b6's though....
                                Fast....Women are fast
                                Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X