No announcement yet.

Oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used a Mocal cooler on Tweak, it's a 16 row and my oil temps stay at about 180-200 degrees on the track, no matter how hard I push the car. I used a thermostatic sandwich plate designed for a miata and I ran my lines between the cylinder head and inner timing cover, back behind the timing belt.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

If you only need a little bit of cooling the auto radiators and most aftermarket radiators have a built in oil cooler at the bottom. It's either an oil cooler or a transmission fluid cooler, but either way it should work. These radiators are getting to the end of their lives +/- 20 years and you could just knock two birds out with one stone.

I could be totally wrong though . . . it's been known to happen!
      88L - Awaiting bigger and better things
      92L - Dead and needs love - was DD
      91 - Shell with title
      92GL - receiving B8 Swap and will be DD

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewAmericanSpirit View Post
        If you only need a little bit of cooling the auto radiators and most aftermarket radiators have a built in oil cooler at the bottom. It's either an oil cooler or a transmission fluid cooler, but either way it should work. These radiators are getting to the end of their lives +/- 20 years and you could just knock two birds out with one stone.

I could be totally wrong though . . . it's been known to happen!
        This isnt a bad idea,you could run the adapter plate with thermostat sandwich plate to the tranny cooler. I have atx radiators in my Aspires and they are much larger than the MTX ones. Great idea IMO especially for southern members,I lived in Waco,TX for 6 years so I can appreciate hot fluids.
        Last edited by nitrofarm; 09-02-2013, 07:02 PM.
        Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
        Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
        Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I have auto rad in manual setup

I still don't want oil mixing with radiator. Separate cooler. I just need the block adapter.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

If you do air only get a sanwich with thermostat. If you want coolant heating you can go cheap on it and still benefit. One other thing is to do it up like a sand toy and remote mount a ford v8 style filter that holds 3/4q extra oil.
            1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
              If you do air only get a sanwich with thermostat. If you want coolant heating you can go cheap on it and still benefit. One other thing is to do it up like a sand toy and remote mount a ford v8 style filter that holds 3/4q extra oil.
              Yes yes, reason I started the thread, what factory b3s came with the block adapter.

Every idea is fail until I'm able to plumb the oil else where.

Last edited by jason_; 09-03-2013, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Most oil cooler kits Come with 2 plate pieces plate with an out and in that goes where the OEM filter goes...then you branch off that with some hose leading to your oil filter, then off that in a loop to the cooler. Up on a stock b3 equipped firewall especially with no ac there is room for days for anything you want. You could even remote mount the filter towards the front close to the vam so you'd not even make a mess changing it.
                1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

The search continues

Comment

So what you lads are saying is " buy a sandwich adapter, get good braided oil hoses? And 12/24 row cooler"? I own a wb festy with a pretty much stock motor and I'm looking to add parts that will extened the life of my b3 as it only has around the 120,000km mark. Any more info on this subject would be awesome cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Solo_bud31 View Post
                      So what you lads are saying is " buy a sandwich adapter, get good braided oil hoses? And 12/24 row cooler"? I own a wb festy with a pretty much stock motor and I'm looking to add parts that will extened the life of my b3 as it only has around the 120,000km mark. Any more info on this subject would be awesome cheers!
                      I'll hose clamp stuff. I'm not scared. Barbs and clamps work OK on 200 psi air. Good gas resistance hose shouldn't have an issue.

I just wanted to know what cars came with what will fit my block so I can locally hunt.

Last edited by jason_; 01-26-2014, 03:45 PM.

Comment

there's an oil cooler adapter (sandwich style) that was on the 323 1.6 turbo. it's still available from mazda but like $110!

Comment

most stuff for honda and subarus will work unless its the whole oem piece that is a irregular chunk of aluminum that looks like kind of part of the oil pan (also DSM). stay away from those obviously. something with a simple bracket or just spins onto engine and hangs off using the oil filter thread is going to work.
                          1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Working...
                          X