Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been another 3k miles.
    This time I wanted to use royal purple.

This time around I noticed I have burning fuel.
    Because it was much lower than usual.

Also the drain plug magnet had collected a lot more debris than I would have expected.

And here is it with a small portion wiped off for comparison
    It had the consistency of a fine particle paste very fine as if it were a polish

And here is it clean again

Here is it wiped on a paper towel.

This makes me wonder what is going on in there :/
    Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I know I am getting close to my oil change. Kinda can't wait to see if anything shows on my magnet plug.
      1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
      2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
      1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
        I know I am getting close to my oil change. Kinda can't wait to see if anything shows on my magnet plug.
        Yeah these things are pretty neat.
        And after seeing what it actually pulls from the engine oil...

I'm now a believer.
        I can only imagine how much wear and tear that metal "paste"
        Would cause if left to circulate continuously.

Comment

Still debating on which oil I should use that I picked up a while ago for cheap. Valvoline racing synthetic, or Kendall Synthetic Blend. Only thing keeping me from straight using the racing synthetic is I've heard it doesn't have as much detergents as regular road use oil. That and I got a very slow external oil leak from the head gasket, and oil pan.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rmoltis View Post
            Yeah these things are pretty neat.
            And after seeing what it actually pulls from the engine oil...

I'm now a believer.
            I can only imagine how much wear and tear that metal "paste"
            Would cause if left to circulate continuously.
            All that paste doesn't just circulate. It makes its way to the cooler and sticks in their. If the car survives increased heat because the cooler is insulated from the inside out it will plug the cooler eventually and block the flow of oil. The transmission will make a good core lol.

My coolant flush machine has a low flow warning beeper. If the beeper goes off on a properly warmed up transmission the problem is always a plugged cooler. The stuff that comes out when we clean remove and check them is this same paste.

You should not be telling people about this drain plug , it could cause a big drop in my transmission work !!
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
              All that paste doesn't just circulate. It makes its way to the cooler and sticks in their. If the car survives increased heat because the cooler is insulated from the inside out it will plug the cooler eventually and block the flow of oil. The transmission will make a good core lol.

My coolant flush machine has a low flow warning beeper. If the beeper goes off on a properly warmed up transmission the problem is always a plugged cooler. The stuff that comes out when we clean remove and check them is this same paste.

You should not be telling people about this drain plug , it could cause a big drop in my transmission work !!
              True that we are talking about magnetic drain plugs, but he was talking about crankcase oil with that stuff floating around, not a transmission. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post

Lol.

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                True that we are talking about magnetic drain plugs, but he was talking about crankcase oil with that stuff floating around, not a transmission. lol
                I do have the same brand plug for my transmission as well.

But this recent oil change was for the engine.
                Last edited by rmoltis; 06-11-2015, 10:52 PM.

Comment

I missed the transition with the engine and transmission thing. Engine oil coolers on vehicles that use them do not seem to collect the same type of debris. It must be a difference in the engine oil - transmission oil chemistry, there are not any other differences that stand out.

The debris that collects on your engine super strong magnetic plug usually settles out in the engine rather than staying in suspension and circulating. Most tends to settle on the bottom of the pan and leads to oil pump restrictions. Some will turn to carbon build up near exhaust heated passages and especially turbos. Turbos will coke the stuff out of oil and the oil return will deposit the crap in the pan near the oil sump and will starve the engine of oil.

so dad gum it you are still cutting into my income by talking about this magnet s#it !!
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

rmoltis, have you done any more oil changes since the last time you posted a pic?
                    Is there less gunk? Let us know please. I'm going to Dimple all of my vehicles, including my lawnmowers. I already have a big honking neodymium magnet on the bottom of my power steering reservoir.
                    Last edited by bravekozak; 12-27-2015, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I assume the Festiva and Aspire use the same drain plug?

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
                        rmoltis, have you done any more oil changes since the last time you posted a pic?
                        Is there less gunk? Let us know please. I'm going to Dimple all of my vehicles, including my lawnmowers. I already have a big honking neodymium magnet on the bottom of my power steering reservoir.
                        Hey chief I actually have had my aspire parked.
                        Because the last couple changes I had excessive metal shavings
                        compared to the past "normal" changes.

My car has also started burning oil.
                        It must be due to the fact that it favors the upper rpm band now.

So yes these plugs work great and they may be the difference between seeing a possible problem early.
                        Or not knowing it is coming at all.

Seems like good insurance for the do it your selfer.

I also have them in our 08 corolla which doesn't really have much metal.
                        It is a very tiny dust thin coat of particles every change.
                        Still nice to have out though.

Their website offers varying size, length, thread options.
                        So if you need one just go measure your vehicles drain plug dimensions
                        then order one with identical dimensions.

Comment

Working...
                        X