Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arduino based EFI setup.. Could this be a cheap way for future tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino based EFI setup.. Could this be a cheap way for future tuners?

Found this magazine cover at my local newsagent and thought hmmmmm.

Was thinking has anyone dealt with arduino based EFI before in the Festiva and how easy are they to use..

Found this thread for a miata and figure its a bit of a read for anyone interested.

ECUs and Tuning - Arduino as ECU? - Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about this stuff. Anyone ever think about using an Arduino as an ECU? http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega The Mega is coincidental, has nothing to do with megasquirt ( i think ). Some potential benefits to using this as a platform to build...

sent from the depths of hell.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

Dude!
    That is amazing!
    Not only could you build an efi system, but you could drive your car via your cell phone!! Holy crap!

Open-source electronic prototyping platform enabling users to create interactive electronic objects.
    HULi ---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Any-where, any-way, any-time.
    "CL4P-TP" - 93 Festiva L

Comment

I've seen that on James bond and knight rider.. Man its becoming a reality

Avg Economy:
      Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

I dont know what it means or what it is, but im reading it.
        Fast....Women are fast
        Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Get into it Milton.. Sounds interesting..

Huli, would you develop a rc festiva?

Avg Economy:
          Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

I have wanted to try and run a small briggs engine on a efi setup for a while now... or even better than a briggs would be one of those Chinese knock off pit bike motors, that would be awesome

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
            1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I'll get the article scanned for you guys.. Its a few pages long too.

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Here. It really seems as simple as Rus is saying it is. One of those things that the few, the proud, the brainy, have over-complicated for.......???? Who knows, other than profits.

Yes, I know all aren't as simple as the one linked, but still, the concept is simple.
                Last edited by sketchman; 01-07-2014, 08:41 AM.
                Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I hope the pages are readable.

Last edited by jawbraeka; 01-07-2014, 09:05 AM.

Avg Economy:
                  Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Just as a side note, for all the bass heads, there is a bass extender article if anyone is interested

Avg Economy:
                    Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

It's not rocket science.

It's not that anyone was hiding anything - it's that chips are getting faster and this makes the job easier because you can apply more brute force and less brain twisting. The stm32f4 chip of my choice is I do not not know, at least x3 times faster then one used in MS-3. x20 times faster then one used in MS-1. That's if you compare just by speed - but also there is 32bit vs 16 bit and FPU vs no FPU. I hope you still follow. Oh, and x300 RAM comparing with MS-1.

20 times faster does make a difference for software development. I hope that rusEfi would be the killer, but maybe it would be something else. You would probably see a rusEfi thread not far from here if you would like to help me in any way.
                      rusEfi - DIY ECU
                      93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

Originally posted by russian View Post
                        It's not rocket science.

It's not that anyone was hiding anything - it's that chips are getting faster and this makes the job easier because you can apply more brute force and less brain twisting. The stm32f4 chip of my choice is I do not not know, at least x3 times faster then one used in MS-3. x20 times faster then one used in MS-1. That's if you compare just by speed - but also there is 32bit vs 16 bit and FPU vs no FPU. I hope you still follow. Oh, and x300 RAM comparing with MS-1.

20 times faster does make a difference for software development. I hope that rusEfi would be the killer, but maybe it would be something else. You would probably see a rusEfi thread not far from here if you would like to help me in any way.
                        I full heartedly agree that memory and processing speed will equate to a more "realtime" based result.

In reality, ms ecus could be upgraded to a version 4 and I'm sure they'd be able to match the ecu quality of the equino based systems, but if there is life in the old girl, why fix what is still reliable.. Along with many other variables as a possible reason not to upgrade.

However, equino vs ms vs freeems would be certainly a good rivalry for the festiva configurations I'm certain.

Kinda like Intel vs AMD vs ... What config will yield better results?

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                          Kinda like Intel vs AMD
                          We both know this does not go well for AMD. Let's hope it would go more like Windows vs Linux
                          rusEfi - DIY ECU
                          93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

Well even AMD had/has its benefits somewhere .. Even if hypothetically its not for the racer (hardcore gamer) might be exactly what the economist (word processing and internet surfer) might me looking for

Avg Economy:
                            Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by jawbraeka View Post
                              Well even AMD had/has its benefits somewhere .. Even if hypothetically its not for the racer (hardcore gamer) might be exactly what the economist (word processing and internet surfer) might me looking for

AMD VS Intel

Don't get me started. Intel is better, but you have to pay for it.
                              AMD gives WAAAAY more bang for your buck.

A $200 8-core AMD cpu is comparable to a $300 i7.
                              1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                              2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                              1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                              X