polished rad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• polished rad

Has anyone ever polished their Festiva rad before?
    I just bought the last Festiva auto rad F1BZ-8005-A from Green Sales yesterday. It cost $190 + shipping.
    I intend to strip the black paint off the upper reservoir and buff the brass until it gleams like gold. Then I will spray it with clear laquer and install it. I will look for my buffing wheels and compound sticks on the weekend. I intend to post lots of pics as I go. Make sure you subscribe to this thread. Aloha.

Note to self: Be sure to pull any auto Festiva rad when at the wreckers, just in case anyone else wants to do the same thing. Bling bling.

I am installing this auto rad in a manual car.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 02-04-2015, 09:28 PM.

I've only seen one festiva with a metal radiator. The rest had plastic end tanks.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Worfdog said...

There are pictures on this site of other members with metal rads.
      advanced, didn't you have a metal rad?
      I have asked before on [WTB] with no luck.
      Last edited by bravekozak; 02-04-2015, 09:48 PM.

Comment

I've never seen a stock festiva rad with metal tanks, auto or manual. I've got an all aluminum civic rad, as do quite a few others, because the plastic tanks suck!
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Polished or bare metal rad will be less efficient. Probably not much of a concern in a Festiva. Maybe even a bonus.

Yeah, never mind.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            Worfdog said...

There are pictures on this site of other members with metal rads.
            advanced, didn't you have a metal rad?
            I have asked before on [WTB] with no luck.
            I bought the only brass dual core I could find for Rosy, my 93 GL auto, a few years ago. I would imagine that radiator is still in the car.
            I've seen hot rods with polished brass radiators. I've always liked the look. It'll be neat in a Festy.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Bravekozak, I have a polished radiator in our 92 GL, that particular radiator came from our 90 LX auto.

The second one is in the wife's Yellow 90 L Plus auto.

A certain site member from Toronto, Ontario happened to see this radiator in a pic I posted on the site, he sent me a pm and the rest is history. I bought a buffing wheel and some rouge, It polished up nice and bright with very little work, next I painted it with some high temp clear. It sure stands out when you open the hood, Thanks Brave.
              An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I don't remember seeing a pic of your rad. Can you please post one?
                I had a polished rad in my old Jeep CJ. I had the entire rad dipped and stripped. I only want to do the top this time around, because that is all you normally see. I also chromed the fan shroud. It was a dynamite combo. Hmmmmm...

Comment

Hopefully I will have a pic up by today or tomorrow, I just got the Devil computer back, I took it to town to have an exorcism preformed and some of the programs like the Nikon picture transfer have been lost, hopefully all it will take is to reinstall that program. Your right, maybe chroming or powder coating the shroud would add some bling to the engine compartment, Hmm maybe have to rethink the powder coat thing, might melt the shroud. Gauge 1/2 inch could tell us.
                  An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Here it is in all it's glory, I should have taken time to wash it off but hey it's cold, well that's my excuse anyway. I did notice after looking close that maybe this summer I should take it back out and give it a redo, it was 3 years ago that this was done, but for now it is what it is.

Comment

Thanks for the pic. Everyone should have an auto rad. I'm even going to polish the rad cap.

Comment

brave....really....unless this engine is completely detailed and everthing is crispy clean....it would be like putting earrings on a pig. don't want it! jmho
                        92 GL, 98k
                        77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

I like polished...
                          -Greg
                          Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                          BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                          Redneck Engineer
                          FOTY - '09
                          5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Performance Radiator -part number PFR263 I've got one coming right now.

http://m.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/...tml?redirect=1
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by avitsefdrof View Post
                              brave....really....unless this engine is completely detailed and everthing is crispy clean....it would be like putting earrings on a pig. don't want it! jmho
                              Lmao awesome

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Working...
                              X