Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 87 b6 head with the fms cam

can i use the 87 b6 head and the fms performance cam together

yes, just don't use aspire rockers and the HD springs together as the springs will exert too much pressure through the roller tips of the rockers and destroy the cam (the rockers will survive though) I know this through first hand experience. if you want to use the HD springs, keep the stock rockers. if you want to use the aspire roller tips, use stock springs.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

will it make more power with the b6 head than the b3 head
      what combo would make more power aspire rockers and stock springs or hd springs and stock rockers

Comment

If your putting this on a B3 block, and you would like to set it up for added performance, see what the maximum is you can shave off that head before compromising the water jacket, and get the extra cc head volume filled in by an expert aluminum welder, he should be able to fill each cylinder top equal to each other. these two things will bring your compression back up, and therefor you will utilize the added port and valve size of the b6 head........oh, and fill the head first, then shave it, unless you want to shave it twice! :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by 5spdStiva View Post
          will it make more power with the b6 head than the b3 head
          what combo would make more power aspire rockers and stock springs or hd springs and stock rockers
          as some of you know im doing a b6 SOHC swap on my festiva and trying to get as much power out of it as possable. im thinking of getting a fms cam for it and want stiffer valve springs for it too. where do you get the HD (that means heavy duty, right?) and whats the diffrence between the aspire and festiva rocker arms? also what would make the most power? (aspire rockers and stock springs or hd springs and stock rockers)

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
          1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I talked to Roger at FMS about this and he told me that this cam is designed for the the standard HLA rocker arms... not the Asprire roller rocker nor the older mechanically adjustable rocker arms. I didn't ask him about the springs themselves though. The cam is still sitting on my shelf waiting for the head work to be done which is waiting for..... you get the picture.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
              I talked to Roger at FMS about this and he told me that this cam is designed for the the standard HLA rocker arms... not the Asprire roller rocker nor the older mechanically adjustable rocker arms. I didn't ask him about the springs themselves though. The cam is still sitting on my shelf waiting for the head work to be done which is waiting for..... you get the picture.
              so i cant use the aspire rockers or the other ones.... anyone know about the springs? or has anyone know where i can get some "real" racing springs?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I would talk to crane or a similar company, and give them the dimensions of the actual oem spring, and see if they make something like it. all the mazda performance sites are going to cater to dohc applications.
                1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

The Aspire was a roller cam. Typically, roller cams have a lot more aggressive ramp angles (the roller follower allows this). Decreased friction is only one benefit. The real advantage is faster valve opening rates and more "area under the curve". That's why a roller cam needs less duration and lift for any given level of performance and usually a smoother idle. Flat tappet cam lobes (like the FMS) are not compatible with roller lifters in material or geometry and will experience lobe wear. I doubt spring pressure has much to do with it, although I can see where a stiffer spring would just accelerate the wear and vice-versa.

The ultimate would be to have a custom roller cam ground and use the Aspire roller rockers, but that would be pricey.

I too purchased a FMS Competition cam and got no spec card with it. I called to ask about the timing events, lift, duration and recommended spring pressure but they couldn't tell me. All they said was that most stock springs were OK, but that I should check mine for coil bind just in case. At that point I figured it wasn't worth getting into it. I just plan on using stock springs like everyone else that runs the cam. I suppose you should also install new rocker arms with a new cam since technically they wear in together just like lifters on a V8. But, these are not exactly high dollar race engines and I have a whole bucket full of used rocker arms!

If you can get FMS to tell you the cam specs and what the cam manufacturer recommends for valve seat pressure (if they know) then finding the proper springs is just a matter of a little research. Without knowing that, then it's a guessing game and you may as well use stock springs. You could also have your machinist test the open and closed pressure of your stock springs and then search the catalogs for springs with slightly higher pressures and compatible installed height and spring O.D.. If you can get any info from FMS then we should post it as a sticky!
                  Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                  04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                  62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                  Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

holy crap!! where's Monsoon? oldest revived thread of the MONTH!

BTW, one of my ongoing pursuits is having a forged or billet cam ground for me and Quaddawg with beehive springs for better harmonic control. one of my cam ideas requires lowering the rocker barposts to allow for a more agressive lobe profile and more valve lift. these cams would be suitable for use with the Aspire rockers ONLY.
                    Last edited by FestYboy; 04-19-2009, 05:40 PM.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

would getting the cam cryo treated make it work better?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

it may help the cast cam, but a forged or billet cam should take almost anything. the only real reason to cryo the cam would be if it was put under severe stress on a regular basis (i.e. triple wound valve springs and 7000+ rpm for extended periods). otherwise, it's just a waste for a DD w/ slightly heavier springs.

Comment

but if i had the hd valve springs and the aspire rockers on it then it would get good power and if i cryo treated it then it would last... right?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

no, the cast cam lobes are beveled and NOT hardened enough to take the abuse from the aspire rockers (my cam lasted only 8000 miles with the HD springs and aspire rockers). if you want to run the aspire rockers, use the aspire cam (steel) as well or a forged cam.

Comment

will the aspire cam fit in a b6? then ill just get a re-grind on that one.... then get it cryo treated.... and then ill have a killer cam :twisted: do you think this set up will work with the hd springs too? or is that pushing my luck?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

Working...
                              X