• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's totally not where I expected it to go lol
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

• Haha!
      It caught me by surprise when I first saw it.

Im not a fan of this setup
      1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

• Thanks moz!
        totally news to me, the different setups they have tried
        No car too fast !

Comment

• Originally posted by moz View Post
          Hey boys
          Here's a video of it.

Please excuse poor production and muffled voice (I had my thumb too close to the mic)

https://youtu.be/PeqTzNT1tCw
          Thanks for that video mate! I've never actually seen one of those, but I had heard they existed. Since that's only a crank vent and not a valve cover vent, it's height is alright. The important part of this device is that it vents the block correctly. Here in the US, the engine is only ventilated through the valve cover. This is a major problem, because the oil is trying to drain, where the air is trying to escape. This means the air and oil are going separate directions in the same passages. It leads to poor block ventilation and added oil vapor in the air that is being vented. This was due to our emmisions standards being set by engineers with a very poor understanding of internal combustion engines.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-27-2016, 12:36 AM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Good to know. I just saw it as inferior compared to a proper catch can on the firewall.

Would it still pay to put a catch can after the pcv anyway?
            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              Thanks for that video mate! I've never actually seen one of those, but I had heard they existed. Since that's only a crank vent and not a valve cover vent, it's height is alright. The important part of this device is that it vents the block correctly. Here in the US, the engine is only ventilated through the valve cover. This is a major problem, because the oil is trying to drain, where the air is trying to escape. This means the air and oil are going separate directions in the same passages. It leads to poor block ventilation and added oil vapor in the air that is being vented. This was due to our emmisions standards being set by engineers with a very poor understanding of internal combustion engines.
              Youve said the b6 or b6t has a block vent you can use, but is there a good spot on the b3 that you could drill and tap a fitting into to vent the block? Somewhere where if you had the pan off you could catch all the filings?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Huh thats quite interesting. I wonder if the BP blacks have a similar vent location. Is the third hose running to the intake required/benneficial? I was thinking of a block vent just as a vent hose and a drain hose.
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

• Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                  Huh thats quite interesting. I wonder if the BP blacks have a similar vent location. Is the third hose running to the intake required/benneficial? I was thinking of a block vent just as a vent hose and a drain hose.
                  Yes, you need to vent it to atmosphere, or better yet the intake vacuum.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by moz View Post
                    Good to know. I just saw it as inferior compared to a proper catch can on the firewall.

Would it still pay to put a catch can after the pcv anyway?
                    You shouldn't need one. The big problem we have over here is the block vent is capped off. That's why we need a catch can from the valve cover vent.
                    This separator is far superior to a catch can. Catch cans just fill up and make a mess or need to be emptied. A separator drains oil back into the engine instead of catching it. All my cars have home made separators on them that work similarly to this factory one. Mine do incorperate the valve cover vent as well, but this shouldn't be necessary.
                    If you decide to vent the separator to atmosphere, rather than to the inlet pipe, you'll need to remove the pcv system and also vent the valve cover to atmosphere. This is because the atmospheric crank vent will act as an air leak into your intake manifold. Using the vacuum from the engine is a good method of preventing positive pressure in the crank case, so I would leave the system alone.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-27-2016, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Also notice there is no pipe on the front of the cam cover as compared to the usdm cover.

Comment

• Originally posted by azgtx View Post
                        Also notice there is no pipe on the front of the cam cover as compared to the usdm cover.
                        Yeah, I block that one off on my setups too. That is the pipe that has led to a lot of B6T drivers thinking that they blew their turbo, when actually they just had blow by that blew oil into the turbo from the valve cover.

Comment

• hi guys I pretty new the the forum. I have questions about swapping in a B6D into 89 festiva auto. I'm looking at a buying a mazda mx3 for the engine and ECU and matting it to my auto Festiva. Is there a thread here you all know of that can help me along? This will be my first engine swap ever, just looking to be pointed in the right direction. thanks all

Comment

• ^ if the donor car is auto, swap the entire drivetrain, that way you'll have an overdrive gear.

Then again, since this is your first ever, a standard b6 would be the easiest route as it doesn't require any special mounts: it's a direct replacement.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

• wow okay, that sounds more my speed. I'll look into finding a B6 engine. I just want a daily driver with a little more hp than the stock fuel injected b3. It is a little under powered in my opinion. thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Airportcar View Post
                                wow okay, that sounds more my speed. I'll look into finding a B6 engine. I just want a daily driver with a little more hp than the stock fuel injected b3. It is a little under powered in my opinion. thanks
                                The B6 swap is well worth it. I ran mine for quite a while and thought that this is the engine that the Festiva should have come with in the first place. Check out this page for info on that car. Unfortunately that is no more, it rusted way too much but was replaced with a B6T Festiva!

I ran mine with the B6 computer, VAF meter, intake and exhaust manifolds. It will run quite nicely with the stock B3 versions though, making the swap even more straightforward. Bottom line... you won't be disappointed.

Cheers
                                Ian
                                Calgary AB, Canada
                                93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                                59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                                X