Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B3-E Turbo/Supercharger Capabilities

Hello Everyone,
    I'm sure there may be a forum already on this, but I recently picked up a 1997 Ford Aspire for $300. It's got the bone stock 1.3 B3 with fuel injection. I live in a relatively hilly area and wanted to get more power out of the 1.3. I know a lot of people do B6 turbo swaps, but I was curious if anyone did one for a
    B3 or supercharged one. I'd prefer to supercharge it since mine has no power steering or A/C. Wherever those pulleys would go, I'd just pop the supercharger there. I presume either way I'd need a larger throttle body, injectors, and intake tubing at an absolute minimum. If anyone knows a thread or anyone who has done work to a B3, let me know.
    Thank You,
    Dan

image.jpg

image.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
    Yes to all of that, look around, lots here!
    But if you just need a little power, a turbo or blower at 4-5lbs of boost will run as-is if you use a rising rate fuel pressure regulator! Simple to do, but most of us just do a B6 swap as it is easier (I think)
    No car too fast !

Comment

Nice Aspire! I don't see black ones very often.
      Check the for sale forum. Someone was trying to sell a B3 turbo manifold. It's very simple to turbo these engines once you've got the exhaust manifold. The clutch is the weakest link. It will probably slip with only 5 psi of boost.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-10-2015, 02:11 AM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Actually, it was that maroon-ish red, but whoever owned it years ago repainted it black. I actually like it in black, but maybe some day I'll get it repainted to its factory color. I actually just replaced the clutch when I bought it, so I'm not super worried about it slipping
        Last edited by dannythatguy; 09-10-2015, 05:50 AM.

Comment

Even a brand new stock clutch will slip with around 100ft.lbs if tq. A 4 door aspire is heavier than a festiva, so it will be more demanding on it's clutch than a festiva. My brand new clutch in my fesiva would slip in 3rd gear with my b6d swap, which makes around 100ft.lbs of TQ. That was a sachs clutch and brand new sachs flywheel. I suspect an Exedy clutch will hold more tq, but I haven't tested this. Someone else may be able to verify that. I switched to a spec clutch, but I'm not convinced that I like it yet. It chatters a lot and the car shifts hard, but spec says the clutch needs 500 miles to break in, so I'm putting miles on it before making my final judgement.
          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-10-2015, 07:35 AM.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Even a brand new stock clutch will slip with around 100ft.lbs if tq. A 4 door aspire is heavier than a festiva, so it will be more demanding on it's clutch than afestiva. My brand new clutch in my fesiva would slip in 3rd gear with my b6d swap, which makes around 100ft.lbs of TQ. That was a sachs clutch and brand new sachs flywheel. I suspect an Exedy clutch will hold more tq, but I haven't tested this. Someone else may be able to verify that. I switched to a spec clutch, but I'm not convinced that I like it yet. It chatters a lot and the car shifts hard, but spec says the clutch needs 500 miles to break in, so I'm putting miles on it before making my final judgement.
            Do keep us informed about that Spec clutch, maybe in a separate thread. I know that Matt D used a Rhino clutch in his built B3, and was happy with it. I have never had slippage with it.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I like my spec stage 2. My break-in was a road trip with lots of highway and some insane stop and go in NYC.

It's much more grabby now than it was originally. So the stock soft worn out motor mounts make it annoying, but once those are stiffened up, I'm sure it'll be fine.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

K, after a thorough break in and cross country trip I'll do a write up on the Spec stage 2. I've got about 400 city miles on it now and it shifts better, but I have to keep the cable tight. The chatter isn't as bad either, but I have very low tolerance for clutch chatter because it's very destructive on all the components of the driveline. In my opinion, a clutch that costs over twice what the factory replacement cost, should have been engineered properly to avoid chatter. This is a case of the wrong spring rate in the sprung hub. They probably didn't do much testing of the product, but spec is known for that. I've had big problems with their clutches in the past on several BMW cars and a couple Porsche cars.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I hate that too. I have gone as far as welding a sprung hub clutch solid along with locking out a self-adjusting clutch cable to make things smooth before. Along with filled motor mounts. Different car though.

I look forward to your write-up.

Is it too soft a spring or too hard?
                  Last edited by sketchman; 09-10-2015, 04:32 PM.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

wish some one had a write up of how they plumbed in the oil feed and return lines and routed everything for their b3 turbo's as i have a 93 efi festy that i want to turbo but theres no solid info on what's been used and what can be used and slightly altered to work on them.. currently thinking of just using an eclipse 16g turbo and trying to fab a manifold for it.. already have a 1g eclipse intercooler that would fit under the bumper support in that air dam if i cut the plastic a bit.

In other words i'll be following this thread lol.
                    Last edited by 89 festevil; 09-10-2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

A16g is hoooge

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Supercharged is an option though. It would be easy enough to install it on top your lower intake manifold with an adaptor. But m45s are kinda pricey. And that's about all you could use to keep the boost manageable

Comment

So be it if I need to replace the clutch. I'm not that worried about that. I just wasn't sure how much these stock clutches handled in these cars.

Comment

And I'd prefer going with the M45 in all honesty bhearts. Do you know anyone who has?

Comment

Originally posted by dannythatguy View Post
                              And I'd prefer going with the M45 in all honesty bhearts. Do you know anyone who has?
                              Nope. I'm using an m90. People pretty much give them away

Comment

Working...
                              X