No announcement yet.

High Performance Clutch Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The b3 VAF is practically identical to the b6ze miata vaf. In fact, Dragonhealer swapped a festiva VAF onto a miata on the dyno and made slightly more hp than the miata vaf. That was probably just a calibration difference, but it proved the point. The Festiva VAF isn't a restriction until somewhere around 140ft.lbs of tq.
    In fact, the entire b3 fuel injection system is very similar to the 1.6L Miata system. The biggest difference is the ignition system. However, the festiva has sequential spark ignition, whilst the miata is wasted spark. Sequential spark is better for boost because there is less chance of burning exhaust valves under boost. With that said, in thoery the Festiva engine management system should be better suited to run boost than the miata system. The same tricks that they use to turbo the 1.6 miata will work on a Festiva.
    Let's move this type of discussion to the DOHC B6 thread though, to keep things organized.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-20-2015, 06:53 AM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Good morning, do I believe that I glazed a Spec clutch disc from all that B6d HP probably not but I do think there is a quality problem, maybe some bad disc material or maybe I received the wrong pressure plate who knows but their customer service was not what I expected, so with that in mind I'm looking somewhere else for my clutch parts.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Did your pressure plate require noticably more pedal effort to disengage than the original festiva clutch?

Also, what did you use for a flywheel? I cut mine with the same surface finish as the spec pressure plate. I've learned that trick throughout the years. Too smooth a flywheel will glaze a clutch disk quickly.
        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-20-2015, 07:46 AM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I just sand my flywheels. It's never caused an issue on at least 4 installs that I can remember. Mine still grips fine too. Just annoying.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
            I just sand my flywheels. It's never caused an issue on at least 4 installs that I can remember. Mine still grips fine too. Just annoying.
            Yeah, I've done that too. 60 grit Sanding disk on a 90 die grinder usually does the trick, when I don't have a lathe handy. Lol

Comment

Another reason to do the act swift clutch mod
              -Greg
              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
              Redneck Engineer
              FOTY - '09
              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I used spec clutches for a few builds and will never buy another . I'm with Greg the swift clutch is a good option . Ian just gave one away in the for sale ,not long ago .
                New build on the way .

Comment

Yup, Dragonhealer has it. It would be nice to have a bolt in option for those of us who just want a little more clamping force. For turbo, the swift clutch is probably the better option, since it's bigger and there are more aggressive disks available if needed. Eventually though, the trans will not agree with more clutch grip. Lol

Comment

Did your pressure plate require noticably more pedal effort to disengage than the original festiva clutch?

No noticeable difference in the pedal,

Also, what did you use for a flywheel? I cut mine with the same surface finish as the spec pressure plate. I've learned that trick throughout the years. Too smooth a flywheel will glaze a clutch disk quickly.

I used the stock Festiva flywheel, I did send it off and get it resurfaced, I understand what happens to the disc if you do not grind the surface.
                    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

When I talked to Shon at KY clutch he did mention they were in the process of updating their clutch Dyno to a new model.

Comment

I wonder if KY clutch (sounds slippery) would reduce price with a certain volume.

Comment

^I'd be in for that. But even at $150 for 150hp it sounds good already if it performs.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

To the man from Mesa, I said KY clutch NOT KY jelly and a group buy sounds interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              I wonder if KY clutch (sounds slippery) would reduce price with a certain volume.
                              Originally posted by sc72 View Post
                              To the man from Mesa, I said KY clutch NOT KY jelly and a group buy sounds interesting.
                              KY = Slippery and now a "group" buy. Pervs! Just a bunch of pervs on here!
                              Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

lol

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Working...
                                X