Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 91 Festiva owner. Want to turbo

Hello all,

If you cant tell by my name i come from the Subaru world. Heres our Festiva Story so far:

2 friends and i found a 1991 Festiva GL for sale locally. SUPER CHEAP ($250). Runs and drives and of course has some minor issues. 5 Speed shifts well. But it runs. We initially bought it as a joke to just beat around on. We realized we could make one hell of a sleeper out of it. Were trying to mod this thing as CHEAP as possible. And as DIY as possible keeping the cost down. We all have our own individual other car projects going but we know this thing could be a blast.

What is our best route? Turbo the B3? Thats what we really would like to do (or at least i think thats what we should do lol.) We are all totally new to the B3/B6/B6T world. Im trying to read read read as much as i can. So i apologize in advance if there are any "noob" or dumb questions ive asked. In all reality if we can suprise 1 or 2 mustang/LS car owners with it. The build is a success.

Thanks in advance,

BoxerLove and friends ty1

You wont get much from the B3 without some fancy internals.

Most common thing to do for north of 100hp is a B6T/BP/BP turbo swap.

If you can find a Capri XR2 for real cheap you're set. It has the B6T and G5MR transmission that you will need if you actually want to have fun.

If you want to surprise the V8 guys you will definitely want to swap the trans. The stock trans will not hold up to launches for long, if at all.

Theres several other swaps you can do too so just keep looking around on the forums.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I just remembered i have a friend pulling the engine from his 1991 miata 1.6L (B6ZE if my googling skills are correct.) I may see what we can do with that.

Comment

really cheap engine is the b8-me you can get them out of early 90's proteges. they bolt right up to the trans you swap the flywheel the ecu and just make things fit in the bay nicely. the b8-me makes 103 hp and something nice for torque. I am in progress to have two b8-me festivas and one is going to be turbo.
        88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

The b3 just isn't worth it. I'm sure you could put in 15 psi on the stock block, but you'd need an ecu, and e85, and some head work and a turbo manifold, where as the b6t is ready to go on all that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

New 91 Festiva owner. Want to turbo

B3 would be fun but not as cheap as a swap. Why not try to figure out if you can get a boxer in there? i dont know if its been done, but guys have put 350 chevys, rx7 rotarys, diesel yanmars, big fords and harley engines in festivas so why not a boxer? if you do a 1.6 or 1.8 swap at least try and do an uel header on it so it sounds like a boxer

unequal length header.
            Discuss making performance enhancements to the OEM-spec engine in your Festiva or Aspire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-28-2016, 06:13 PM.

Comment

whatever you can get your hands on the cheapest. all are goods options. to get mustangs salty though, your going to need more than 130 hp
              Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
              http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Im almost shocked how active this website is. Its awesome lol!

I would love to throw a spare EJ25D (165 Hp) i have laying around in it. I just dont know how well that would work out. Would 100% have to RWD Convert the car which with my current 98 Legacy STI Swap going on , and my 03 GTI VR6 needing a clutch thats probably just too much work. The options are endless with these little cars. None of us ever realized that until we bought the car.

Comment

This reminds me of that sti swapped Subaru justy I found on the internet a while ago.

Sent from my HUAWEI H892L using Tapatalk
                  88 Ford Festiva LX "Miogi" B8-ME swapped.

93 Ford Festiva L "Haywire" Rat infested trashcan WIP

Comment

Coincidentally I have a strong hankering to apply light boost to my 99 legacy with the ej22. It needs it and apparently can handle it fine.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by BoxerLove View Post
                      Im almost shocked how active this website is. Its awesome lol!

I would love to throw a spare EJ25D (165 Hp) i have laying around in it. I just dont know how well that would work out. Would 100% have to RWD Convert the car which with my current 98 Legacy STI Swap going on , and my 03 GTI VR6 needing a clutch thats probably just too much work. The options are endless with these little cars. None of us ever realized that until we bought the car.
                      It's been more active, but I think everyone pops in every once in a while.

Don't forget about the klze swap you could do. 200hp engine from a probe.

Comment

That miata engine will bolt to the stock trans, but you'll need to get creative with the intake and exhaust manifolds. Stock, base model Capri exhaust/intake and Valve cover will make that miata engine a breeze to swap over.
                        My Miata engine swapped festiva is quicker than an s2000 or porsche 944 around a road coarse. I've got the time attack trophy and results to prove it. We'll worth the effort IMHO.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          My Miata engine swapped festiva is quicker than an s2000 or porsche 944 around a road coarse. I've got the time attack trophy and results to prove it. We'll worth the effort IMHO.
                          That's embarrassing for those cars. Is it possibly because you're an excellent driver?

Comment

[QUOTE=bhearts;713360]That's embarrassing for those cars. Is it possibly because you're an excellent driver?

You forgot to mention fearless, anticipating, experienced and respected.

Comment

If were not launching the stock 5 speed trans from the 1.3L , will it hold up to the 1.6 and maybe a little boost for awhile? Mostly probably roll races etc. Just having fun with the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X