Alternator Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator Upgrade

What Alternators from other cars fit on the B3? I picked up an RX8 Alternator and its 100 amps definitely an upgrade over the stock 60. Right now I have a 70 amp I pulled out a '98 Protege so I know other models fit. Who else has done this?

SMASH THAT SEARCH BUTTON
    Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

Any info where I can buy a high output alternator b3 upgrade.?

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TurboAspire View Post
        What Alternators from other cars fit on the B3? I picked up an RX8 Alternator and its 100 amps definitely an upgrade over the stock 60. Right now I have a 70 amp I pulled out a '98 Protege so I know other models fit. Who else has done this?
        Some will fit, and even plug in, but you've gotta be cautious of the difference between ECM controlled and internally regulated. I know there is a difference, and I can tell by looking at the alternators side by side, but I don't know which cars came with which system. It's a bad idea to swap them. ECM controlled ones will ruin a belt, or fry your electrical system if they are used on earlier, internally regulated setup cars.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The only one I am sure of being PNP is the 60A from 1990-1993 Mazda Miata. Electrically correct.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by jbona1 View Post

Really!? I answered that quary 2 days ago...
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by jbona1 View Post

Any particular reason you want a high output?
              The stock one will power 2 angle grinders at once, or an electric kettle, or a countertop oven, 2 toasters. All the light bulbs in my house... if you have a decent battery.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by ryanprins13; 03-16-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

He thinks he wants one because he's too lazy to test the one he has now...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Ive always needed one to power my 200 amp draw amplifiers in the rear along with the 60amps to run the stock electrical system.

I would be curious what my options were.
                  Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Not curious enough to use the search feature
                    Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

The alternator output doesn't need to match the maximum amperage draw of your electrical equipment. It should just exceed the average amp draw of the system by 20 amps or so. Your batteries, and capacitors will power the amplifier(s) at peak draw (assuming the wire gauge and length is appropriate). The alternator just has to recharge the batteries during average electrical draw. If you're listening to music amplified by over 40 amps of input for a 100% duty cycle, you're quite hard of hearing (or destined to be shortly).
                      In short, the alternator should not power your electrical system, that is the job of the battery.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Not sure on the B3 or B6 but on the B6t we use the 80 amp from the 91 RX-7. Use the 7's bolt and swap on the B6t 60 amp pulley. Otherwise plug and play.

Comment

^that should work on a b3 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                            The alternator output doesn't need to match the maximum amperage draw of your electrical equipment. It should just exceed the average amp draw of the system by 20 amps or so. Your batteries, and capacitors will power the amplifier(s) at peak draw (assuming the wire gauge and length is appropriate). The alternator just has to recharge the batteries during average electrical draw. If you're listening to music amplified by over 40 amps of input for a 100% duty cycle, you're quite hard of hearing (or destined to be shortly).
                            In short, the alternator should not power your electrical system, that is the job of the battery.
                            Tested perfect hearing at my union physical last year :-)

The dynamatt absorbs more sound than you would expect.
                            Last edited by rmoltis; 03-21-2017, 03:44 AM.
                            Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

How many watts are you running that you have a 200 amp draw? and how many amplifiers? And we both know, if you're having an annual union hearing test - there is no perfect hearing, they are only comparing them to last years hearing test. If we had perfect hearing, they wouldn't be paying for a hearing test

Comment

Working...
                              X