No announcement yet.

B3T parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know a whole lot about Turbos or fabricating so this may sound dumb... If the Gt15 bolt pattern was smaller than the flange for the b3 couldn't you just get a piece of steel sheet metal and weld it on top of the turbo flange and then just drill proper bolt pattern into the sheet metal and use a gasket from the b3? Would this cause too much back pressure or not seal correctly or something like that?
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Welding cast steel can be difficult. An easier solution would be to machine an adapter between the 2 flanges. If the triangles are similar, but clocked differently, this could be a 3/8“ thick piece of steel. It would require the downpipe studs be removed, which can be difficult in the rust belt areas, so it's best to have a spare manifold to prepare on the bench, rather than trying to do this in the car.
      The gt15 would be a great turbo to use, except they aren't cheap, and I'm not familiar with the reliability of the Chinese copies.
      The td04L-14t and K03 are both cheap and readily available used or new aftermarket options.
      To be realistic, most people will want to slap a turbo on their b3 for 200 bucks or less. That's probably not real possible unless you've got an FMU, a bunch of pipe and a welder just sitting there. If you've gotta pay to have a downpipe and charge piping made, your into it for 400 bucks minimum. Now you've got to replace the clutch (because that happens on every b3t build) and then, if your lucky, you'll drive it for 6 months before you either break the tranny or blow the engine. At that point most people swap to a bigger engine, or sell the car. That's why there isn't much support for the b3t idea. However, with that said, it's fun to squeeze little engines until they pop, so I'm going to check into this.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

The k03 gasket pattern is too small, I have one and also the pattern is not equilateral like the Festiva flange. The manifold outlet I.d. is also ~ 3/8 larger than the inlet I.d. of the exducer. A neck down adapter would be required.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

when you ' blow the engine' what lets go??

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            The k03 gasket pattern is too small, I have one and also the pattern is not equilateral like the Festiva flange. The manifold outlet I.d. is also ~ 3/8 larger than the inlet I.d. of the exducer. A neck down adapter would be required.
            I should have consulted with you first, oh well, it was 5 bucks. The neck down would be easy, also might be able to port the k03 a bit. The td04 pattern looks bigger, I've got that gasket here already, just have to dig up my b3 manifold. I hope I didn't toss it.

Originally posted by errjam View Post
            when you ' blow the engine' what lets go??
            Faith in humanity.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

long gone............

Comment

So, I checked the Td04 gasket against the b3 manifold and it would work (with an adapter plate), except there really isn't room in the car for a turbo to hang there. The radiator would be in the way of the compressor inlet. I may try to make a tight radius U pipe adapter to mount a GT1752 over where the AC compressor sits. It won't work on a car with AC though because the condenser is too close.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 12-08-2016, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Hmm this seems like an amusing project I have useless ko3s and useless b3s laying around but, once I get the festiva back on the road of course lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Festiver
                  93 L find/5 speed
                  BP/g15mr swapped
                  Aspire brake swapped
                  Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                  stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                  rustful
                  maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                  advanced suspension
                  kai/skeeter camber
                  b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Working...
                  X