Cant get my recently installed B6ME running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant get my recently installed B6ME running

I have a couple of questions I am hoping someone can help me with. I finished installing my B6ME engine today in my '91 Festiva w/ 5 speed. The engine is out of a '95 Kia. I am using the B3 ecu, injector harness, distributor, alternator and starter. The engine is a junk yard item. I have never seen it run. Normally I would have changed the timing belt before installing any used engine however my other Festiva is also engineless and this car was purchased to be used for only a brief period so I was wanting to just "get 'er in". Two items on the B6ME are not able to plug into the Festiva harness. One is directly under the throttle body. I believe it is the IAC. Pretty sure the engine will run without it. It looks like I can change my plug on the Festiva harness to mate up to it. The second item is on the passenger side of the fuel rail. The supply end of the rail terminates there and it returns the fuel to the return line. This component connects to the intake manifold and it also has an electric connection which I have not connected yet. I was thinking a 12 volt ignition source would be what it needs. Can anyone help me with this? All the other sensors are connected and I do have a three wire (manual trans.) TPS switch. The car cranks and gets a spark but does not fire. I messed around with it for about 30 minutes today and two things I noticed are the fuel pump is running with the key on, engine off. I think this is related to the sensor/component on the fuel rail not connected. The other thing I noticed is the timing was way off. I cranked her over with the number 1 plug out and felt for compression and noted where the timing marks / distributor rotor relationship was. It looked like the timing was way off. Probably off so far that the first thing I will check tomorrow will be the timing marks on the camshaft. I am thinking the belt jumped time or it was installed wrong. BTW, I am using the terminal marked #1 on the cap and from there going counter clockwise 3,4, and 2. All grounds have been connected and all vacuum ports are either connected or plugged and that would be the IAC that I capped. As for pictures of the sensors in question the last two times I tried to post photos as attachments I got the red warning exclamation point when I hit the "download file" button and consequently was not able to get back on the forum for 48 hours. Any help getting her running would be appreciated. I'm getting tired of walking, bus riding and bugging people for rides.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

One more thing to mention. When I turn the key on I get the idiot lights : oil, charging, brake?, but no check engine light. Seeing that I drove this car one time for two miles before I pulled the B3 I am not sure the Check Engine light worked before pulling the B3. Obviously it could be as simple as a burned out bulb but wondering if the light not working may indicate wiring/ecu issues.
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I believe the component on the the passenger side of the fuel rail is the fuel pressure regulator. I am thinking it is bypassing the fuel directly back to the tank. the pump is sensing no pressure so it is running with the key on, engine off. That's my theory. I would like to know how it is connected to the harness.

Comment

Are you sure this is a B6me? The only vehicles that came with the 16V SOHC B6 were:

16-valve SOHC
        1991-1993 Mazda MX-3
        1989-1994 Mazda 323 BG
        1989-1994 Mazda 323F BG/Mazda Astina BG
        1989-1994 Ford Laser KF/KH

I don't know of any Kia vehicles that came with this engine. Do you have pictures of the engine?
        Last edited by TWFodor; 03-23-2017, 07:32 AM.
        1990 L Plus Stock B3 automatic -scrapped- My First Festiva - RIP
        1991 GL - B6d, g-series trans, aspire brakes, Advanced Suspension coilovers, Miata 7 spoke rims, '98 Prelude seats, more to come!
        2005 Focus ZX4 SES - purchased from original owner, my grandmother. Currently my wife's daily. 210k

You can follow me on instagram @twfodor

Comment

The device on the end of the fuel rail is a fuel purge solenoid that was installed on the cars the engine came out of. It is not required for the B6-ME engine to run in a Festiva swap. Mine has been eliminated and runs fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
          “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

I have run both a B3 and B6-ME ECU successfully. If I recall, both the TPS and IAC required splicing of the B6-ME connector to the B3 harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Fred" 93 Festiva L B6-ME Swap
            “Though he is small, he is but fierce.”

Comment

Thanks daleb, I will investigate further. The TPS plugs in like it was made to. From what I have read on here it should run without the IAC and......it has KIA 16 valve cast into the cam cover and it is definately a sohc engine.

Comment

Make sure fuel lines are not backwards , and intake tube is complete with no holes .
                Really sounds to me like the injectors are stuck and need cleaned .
                you can get it going by cleaning them yourself . Or use the b3 injectors .
                New build on the way .

Comment

Thanks Rob, I will be on it today. Need it done so I can work on the B6T car.

Comment

I checked the timing on the cam and all is well. The distributor was a full 90 degrees off. I moved all the plug wires over one terminal. When at TDC the cam lines are lined up and the rotor is pointing towards the new #1. I swapped in the B3 injectors that are known to be good. Still wont run. I remember hearing about a swap where the donor car's harness fired the injectors in the opposite order. In other words #1 on the engine would be #4 on the harness, so I reversed the plugs at the injectors. Not easy to do BTW. Still wont run. I'll go back and try again. Timing is on, good spark, getting plenty of fuel. I'm going to put injectors in the B3 fuel rail and connect them to the harness, crank and observe.

Comment

Is your air tube complete .
                      Fuel lines correct ?
                      Time for some pictures . Let see what you got ?
                      New build on the way .

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                        I checked the timing on the cam and all is well. The distributor was a full 90 degrees off. I moved all the plug wires over one terminal. When at TDC the cam lines are lined up and the rotor is pointing towards the new #1. I swapped in the B3 injectors that are known to be good. Still wont run. I remember hearing about a swap where the donor car's harness fired the injectors in the opposite order. In other words #1 on the engine would be #4 on the harness, so I reversed the plugs at the injectors. Not easy to do BTW. Still wont run. I'll go back and try again. Timing is on, good spark, getting plenty of fuel. I'm going to put injectors in the B3 fuel rail and connect them to the harness, crank and observe.
                        The injectors are batch fire anyway. 1 and 4 always fire together as do 2 and 3.

Have you been adjusting the ignition timing while cranking it? You can't trust the mark on the lower pulley on these engines. The Dampener outer ring likes to spin a bit and throw things out of whack.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Still no fire. Actually before I go any further I am going to check compression. I know a man that bought a junk yard engine for a Mazda truck that had such low compression it would not run. I am running the fuel lines correct. I'm running the one from the filter to the line that feeds the rail. The other line from the regulator runs back to the bottom of the firewall on towards the fuel tank. Next step check intake system for leaks with smoke. I am using the original B3 air tube at the MAF and using another original B3 tube (The same tube that goes to the MAF) at the throttle body with a long/large diameter radiator hose to connect them. I need to elongate the slots in the distributor. By eyeballing things at TDC it looks like the ignition is probably advanced, although the engine does not act like it when cranking. And Thanks for the information on injector firing Charlie. I had no idea they were "batch" fired. Seeing that I didn't change the ECU or harness, reversing the harness made no sense. I guess I'm getting desperate. This antique fuel injection (OBD 1) as they now call it is new to me. I'm so old most of the cars I have owned had carbs. With a bunch that had point ignition. The only fuel injected cars I owned never gave me a reason to become intimate with them. I will post pictures today. I just figured out how to get back into my Photobucket account. Thanks guys for all the help.

Comment

I checked the compression and here are the results : #1 155, #2 120, #3 140, #4 145. Not perfect but nothing to keep it from running. All the plugs were hard to remove. I cleaned the threads of the plugs on the wire wheel and used anti seize on them before installing them. #2 and #3 were not wanting to go in so I had to run a tap into the head to clean up the threads. I filled the fillets of the tap with grease and when the tap came out saw a bunch of metal shavings in the grease. You got to wonder how many I missed. I did get around to connecting the old injectors on half of the old B3 intake and connecting the fuel lines and harness to it. I cranked the engine and was able to see the injectors working. I used smoke to check for intake leaks and found none. I tried rotating the distributor while cranking the engine and......nothing. I am still getting spark at the plugs. I will check the timing with a timing light tomorrow. I can not imagine it is so far off that it will not even fire. It may just be a matter of slotting the distributor base. I just tried to post pictures from PhotoBucket and it did not work. I will try again tomorrow.
                            Last edited by Rick the Quick; 03-24-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I posted pictures with photobucket but deleted them because posting them allowed access to everything in my account. I need to review the settings and adjust them accordingly. I used Photobucket for years to post adds on CraigsList and remember they continued to make it more user not friendly.
                              Last edited by Rick the Quick; 03-24-2017, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X