Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

easy 2 minute floppy motor mount fix, its like a new car!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by festivaWES
    filled mine with urethane (windshield glue)

IT WORKS!
    Window weld, ya gota love it.
    "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

The problem with the side mount is the side to side movement, not the up and down movement, i couldnt see too much improvment using the window weld in this mount. has anyonbe tried it?

Comment

A lot of the flexing is because the pass side mount is perforated.. make it solid and it works pretty good.. but the vibration has to go somewhere.. usually in the dash..

Comment

If I were to add an engine brace, I'd use some form of damper similar to a motorcycle steering damper braced to the centre of the engine, not a chain. Chains result in a sudden application of force when the slack is taken up to whatever structure you have the other end bolted to. That's probably what resulted in those bolts being pulled right out of the bosses.

A fluid of gas filled damper, by nature, transmits those forces much smoothly, although resulting in slightly more engine movement. Although the amount of engine movement could be controlled by the placement and travel of the damper you use.

Originally posted by pole120
          Just curious....why not?

~Josh
          It didn't work well enough to consider it worthwhile when I did it. It's because the two bottom mounts are supporting both the weight of the engine and the torsional forces from the engine putting power to the ground, whereas the transmission mounts on engines with 4 mounts (mounting setups with a weight supporting mount on both sides of the engine) typically only absorb those torsional forces. Because of this, these mounts have a different design that is easily improved with the urethane compound because they don't have to be stiff enough to support the +300lb engine/transmission to begin with, like the Festiva mounts.

Filling the passenger side mount will do nothing but add vibration because it doesn't support torsional forces, just some of the weight of the engine. Hope that answers your question.
          * Retired Festiva-er*
          1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
          B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

the rachet strap works great becuase it flexes a little bit, it has some give, anything that is totally solid makes things break!

Comment

Well, i'm willing to look at two solutions to this problem....

I've got three oil filled engine dampers off of the SVT contour, i may take a look at fabbing some brackets to attatch on to the festy. However i'm also going to look into building poly mounts...i've built about 115 Poly contour mounts, however i understand the mount layout is/may be different so i'll ahve to look further into it.

~Josh
              99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
              98 SVT - PRT R&D car
              90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

That's kind of a new one.

I've seen people attach one to the radiator mount, go all the way around the back of the engine and back to the radiator mount on the other side to hold it forward.
                www.dantheoilman.com
                AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Working...
                X