CV axle swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV axle swap

So I've been in the process of lifting my '93 festiva, got the rear done, the front is 90% there but I guess 3 1/2 inches was a hair to much for the CV axles, I was wondering if there was another vehicle I can swap shafts with, while keeping the original knuckles in the hub.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I think aspire axles are a bit longer
    Dark blue '91 B6t + E series
    Something new breaks every day

Comment

Originally posted by Eviljimchicken View Post
      I think aspire axles are a bit longer
      I've got a buddy that has one I'll measure when I can track him down thanks!

Comment

There is a chart somewhere on here that shows the spline count and length of a few different vehicles CV Axles. iirc the inner axle spline count is different on the Festivas than any other of the Mazda/Kia vehicles.

EDIT:
        I was incorrect, the Festiva and Aspire are the same spline count but looks like Aspire is only about 1/4" longer on each side. Here is some more info on Axles
        Last edited by firebush357; 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM.
        "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
        sigpic
        "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
        "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
        "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
        "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Originally posted by firebush357 View Post
          There is a chart somewhere on here that shows the spline count and length of a few different vehicles CV Axles. iirc the inner axle spline count is different on the Festivas than any other of the Mazda/Kia vehicles.

EDIT:
          I was incorrect, the Festiva and Aspire are the same spline count but looks like Aspire is only about 1/4" longer on each side. Here is some more info on Axles
          I was also told lowering the sub frame a hair will get me closer. I was thinking of taking the ends off and swapping just the shaft but I'm afraid that would come down to trial and error, and I just don't have the money to be busting CV axles apart

Comment

So you could lower the entire engine, trans, cross member and sway bar to make up for the difference but they seems like a little too much effort. You could cut the CVs, add what length you need from an old axle then weld, grind, sleeve it and then weld again for strength.

Or you could just take an inch or two out of the lift...
            sigpic
            "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

So you could lower the entire engine, trans, cross member and sway bar to make up for the difference but they seems like a little too much effort. You could cut the CVs, add what length you need from an old axle then weld, grind, sleeve it and then weld again for strength.

Or you could just take an inch or two out of the lift...
              There's no more sway bar. But worse case scenario I drop the lift a hair

Comment

The more you drop the lift, the more metal you will have to move to make the tire fit. If it comes to that be careful on how much metal you move around the hinges of the doors. I learned the hard way, moved too much on the passenger side and had to install spacers on the hinges to make the door be able to close again and you still have to slam it lol.
                sigpic

Comment

So I was just asking some of the guys from the Forum about the Sway Bar delete and so far the consensus is that is is probably a bad idea unless you have something else setup to help control the movement of the LCAs. Just an fyi
                  sigpic

Comment

So I was just asking some of the guys from the Forum about the Sway Bar delete and so far the consensus is that is is probably a bad idea unless you have something else setup to help control the movement of the LCAs. Just an fyi
                    Yeah I found out the control arm gets alot of stability from the sway bar, I have a bad bushing on one side but the other side has no movement. After I get the CV axle situated I'll see if a bushing takes care of the play

Comment

The more you drop the lift, the more metal you will have to move to make the tire fit. If it comes to that be careful on how much metal you move around the hinges of the doors. I learned the hard way, moved too much on the passenger side and had to install spacers on the hinges to make the door be able to close again and you still have to slam it lol.
                      I'm going to try to get the 26-11's to fit with some spacers and offest wheels. If not I have some 9's to put under it. It's 3 more inches of tire compared to the 155's on it now so fingers crossed

Comment

The problem is it is a stabilizer not a sway bar it is the third link on the lower control arm and locates the front to rear location of the control arm. I do not know why you are having a problem with it but you cannot eliminate it without fabbing some sort of third link running to the front of the car. A threaded rod some bushings a coupled brackets and a heim joint would do but why?
                        Originally posted by Jdcas1224 View Post
                        Yeah I found out the control arm gets alot of stability from the sway bar, I have a bad bushing on one side but the other side has no movement. After I get the CV axle situated I'll see if a bushing takes care of the play

30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
                          The problem is it is a stabilizer not a sway bar it is the third link on the lower control arm and locates the front to rear location of the control arm. I do not know why you are having a problem with it but you cannot eliminate it without fabbing some sort of third link running to the front of the car. A threaded rod some bushings a coupled brackets and a heim joint would do but why?
                          The sway bar hit the CV axle after the lift. I didn't know why I couldn't lower the hub any further until I seen the sway bar. I'm wanting to run a bracket behind the control arm to stabilize it though. Lol it did lose alot of stability though

Comment

So the CV axles are long enough?
                            sigpic

Comment

Ok now I understand Without looking at your exact sitch. I would say fab a bracket to go over and under the axle basically a triangle that bolts solid to the lower control arm then a tube and a couple of threaded rod ends{hiem joints} and a simple bracket in the front stupid simple ,stupid easy and completly effective.
                              Originally posted by Jdcas1224 View Post
                              The sway bar hit the CV axle after the lift. I didn't know why I couldn't lower the hub any further until I seen the sway bar. I'm wanting to run a bracket behind the control arm to stabilize it though. Lol it did lose alot of stability though

30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Working...
                              X