short throw shifter questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by festivaWES
    yeah good luck getting that bad boy coil spring in...that's what i did cut it!

And i did mine without ramps! In the rain! On the street! Because I'm a die-hard! Dammit!
    wow that is die-hard....with a vengeance :shock:

Comment

I didnt cut my spring at all, I have the same 10 dollar shipped short throw shifter from ebay, its cost 1 dollar for it and 9 to ship it :-)

I admit it was hard to get the spring back in, but I got it in without cutting it.

Logan

Comment

getting the spring in is easy. 4 pair needlenose vise grips, 2 flat blade screwdrivers and a 5 ton press is the way to go. ithaca NY? if your cars corrode like most in the NE wait till u take the thru bolt out that attaches the end of the shift lever to the forked end of the shift rod. after u soak it in pb blaster all nite and still snap off the nut and find that the bolt has rusted to the plastic bushings and no known tool u have or have ever seen will press or punch out the remaining bolt up there in the tunnel, here's what u do. undo the 4 nuts holding the tower plate to the body. let the whole works drop down onto the midpipe, take a hacksaw or cutoff tool, oh nevermind, you're not die hard enough.

Comment

I had to remove about a coil from mine to get it to go in.

On my aspire it was more than totally compressed. It would actually cause a coil to go behind the others and force it to be smaller and come out.
          www.dantheoilman.com
          AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
          Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
          Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ
            getting the spring in is easy. 4 pair needlenose vise grips, 2 flat blade screwdrivers and a 5 ton press is the way to go. ithaca NY? if your cars corrode like most in the NE wait till u take the thru bolt out that attaches the end of the shift lever to the forked end of the shift rod. after u soak it in pb blaster all nite and still snap off the nut and find that the bolt has rusted to the plastic bushings and no known tool u have or have ever seen will press or punch out the remaining bolt up there in the tunnel, here's what u do. undo the 4 nuts holding the tower plate to the body. let the whole works drop down onto the midpipe, take a hacksaw or cutoff tool, oh nevermind, you're not die hard enough.
            Common i could pull a motor with all the tools you listed.......maybe you should try to use the ratchet in a counter clockwise motion....you'll break alot less bolts
            ---------------------------------------------------
            The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
            ---------------------------------------------------
            BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Mapp gas does wonders
              "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

i used up all my mapp gas getting the lug bolts out of my alum 12's. thanks for responding to my sarcasm. been reading for months. just joined last week. i'm new to computers, but i'm on my 4th festy.

Comment

Welcome to the age of technology! Im a sarcastic bastard, so if you can give sarcasim I hope you can take it :-)

Where all friendly here! Just have fun, because we are all trying to enjoy our little bit of unique culture.

Oh and ithaca, ny might as well be the SALT capital of the world, goddd. I know what you mean about corrosion, thats why my festiva is a summer babe, no winters for this one.

Logan

Comment

I know what your sayin about crawling underneath cars anymore, heh too many rocks imbedded in the back, or back spasms, takes an hour to get off the ground to stretch back out, hah, too spoiled having a lisft at work and doing the b6/5-speed swap in a day and a half,. F doing that on the ground!

Comment

thanks for everyone's help here. I couldn;t believe how fast they shipped my shifter. got it installed this afternoon. I had to cut about 1 coil off, there was no way it was going in with the full spring. on a side note the only reason it took me any time was that I had to wait for my brother to come by with a pair of bolt cutters to cut the spring down. I tried my super duty wire cutters, and then a hack saw, and nothing, I mean nothing was getting through that spring. Took it for a test drive. WOW! I love it. the only thing I need to figure out now is what to do fro a shift boot. The stock boot looks really dumpy. I looked at the parts store, but what they seemto carry are boots for in console shifters, and for hurst type shifters. what would you guys recommend? and where would it be available? thanks.

chris

Comment

ANY 88+ civic shifter will work. i cut the spring in half right from the start.
                        Installed on dirt with 1 jack, in the rain.
                        Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
                        - Dennis Grant
                        FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Man all these die hard Festi Mechs. Guess we just have to up the stakes. I'll have to do my shifter in a mud bog with no jack and only use a swiss army knife (McGuyver style).

Will
                          Festiva/Mazda genetic splicing researcher B6T / G25MR for 5+ years and counting.
                          187.7 WHP @ 5500 RPM

Comment

i still have the pimptiva's real shifter logan ha ha might be up for grabs in the near future or if you buy my car its yours
                            Wait what kinda car is that!!! Oh yeah thats a ASPIRE
                            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/801871

Comment

I was looking into buying one of the cheap EBay shifters too. What style have you all bought? Do you go for the aluminum or steel? Straight or curved? Thanks
                              Paul
                              91GL
                              Menomonee Falls, WI

Comment

Paul, Get the one i have...you'll never look back.
                                99 SVT "BLKOUT2" - # 1571 - PRT track whore
                                98 SVT - PRT R&D car
                                90 Festiva "BLKTIVA"

Comment

Working...
                                X