Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you guys are running no cat??? or test pipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
    We have a two year smog test in Southern Ontario. I am waiting for the government to raise the antique car age again so that it will be exempt from emission testing. I guess I will have to wait for another five years. It is possible to insert a test pipe to test the effectivity of the cat. Just need stainless bolts for a quick and easy self change.
    Local older fellow here with a carefully hopped-up 90's Mustang GT commissioned my buddy to do the e-test prep on it. Lo and behold the fellow shows up with a quick change (flanged with bell flairs at both ends!) dual exhaust system that includes Cats c/w O2 sensors. An hour after the test a beautifully configured set of stainless steel straight pipes went right back on! How much difference this makes I don't know but I certainly enjoy seeing how inventive people are when gov't decides to try to regulate something.

Comment

Originally posted by Huli View Post
      Just un bolt it and smash out the innards with a pipe and hammer. Make sure to wear a dust mask and goggles. If you just throw on a straight through muffler, you are done. Many use a cherry bomb half way down to delete the bumble bee rasp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
      That's one way to do it, but it will be (slightly) more of a restriction than a straight pipe. +1 on the goggles and dust mask (don't breathe that stuff in).

Definitely use a resonator unless you like the pissed off beehive sound.
      Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
      '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
      '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

One of mine has a glasspack muffler in place of the Catcon, the other one has a turbo muffler. Both sound good and run good. I also have a matching muffler in place of the regular muffler.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
          That's one way to do it, but it will be (slightly) more of a restriction than a straight pipe. +1 on the goggles and dust mask (don't breathe that stuff in).

Definitely use a resonator unless you like the pissed off beehive sound.
          I agree with using the resonator!!
          When I first did my exhaust and removed the resonator and ran 1" 3/4 pipe from the cat to the stock muffler.
          It gave it that high pitch bee hive sound.
          then after a header was added it was even worse.

But after putting on the 18" long resonator after the cat it made the exhaust much more clean and quiet than without.
          It helps calm down the frequency peaks of the exhaust pulses. Mellows everything out.

And even with the 2" cat 2"resonator and 2" muffler the exhaust still flows much better than stock.
          There's no reason not to have a cat.

Whenever I drive behind a car without cats.
          They stink.
          The air my car draws in from being behind them fills my cabin with these nasty gasses. Gasses that can cause cancer. And pollute the environment.
          So even though sitting in your cabin you see no reason why you need them. Or don't car about the pollution it causes. The car feels better and you like the exhaust sound.

Just remember your just ignoring the health of other drivers for the sake of 1/2-1hp.

Check out the American lung associations 2013 state of the air report.
          And check out all the pollution we breathe in.

How healthy is your air? Learn how where you live measures up when it comes to air pollution, smog and soot.

And funny thing is. In California where they have the strictest emissions control standards that has helped substantially reduce smog and vehicle pollution over the years.

For ozone pollution California carries 7 out of the top 10 spots
          The first 6 being ca.
          And pittsburgh comes in at24

Ca Has 8 out of the top ten for year round particle pollution
          The first 7 being ca
          Pittsburgh comes in at 8th place.

Ca Has 6 out of the top ten for short term particle pollution.
          The first 5 being ca
          Pittsburgh comes in at 7th place.

The point is, where I live is ranked in the top ten for worst air quality in the u.s. and I would like to do my part to help reduce the impact on the air I have to breathe in daily.
          Especially since we breathe constantly our entire life.
          It's no wonder so many people get lung cancer with all the crap they constantly take in all day.

I keep a hepa air purifier in my home that helps remove particle impurities in the air so that I at least have a clean air sanctuary away from the filthy air outside.

And there is no such thing as global warming.
          But I do believe in climate extremes.

Meaning that the intensity of extreme cold and extreme heat weather has been increasing all around the world.
          And I don't believe at all it is pollution related.

The charts that show the "global warming" is only from 1950 forward.
          While the recorded climates going back hundreds and thousand of years show periods of warming and cooling.

Also they claim that 330 something parts of co2 is "bad" on all this global warming b.s.

But scientific studies have shown that periods of high co2 contributed to have contributed to flourishing of plant life.
          It has shown that over 1000ppm of co2 create healthier plants that grow taller, produce more branches, produce more fruits, have less terminations, and just bigger and better overall.
          Which would also contribute to more oxygen production.

Also if you look into the other planets in our solar system they are also warming up as well as their weather patterns changing.
          It's not just earth.
          It is mainly being caused by solar cycles occurring with our sun
          And how they relate with our planet.

Have you guys heard of starwater???
          New articles in journals that have proven water is created high up in the atmosphere from interactions between energy from our sun with certain chemical particles to form h2O molecules!
          And this happens on all the planet's.

We are just a tiny part of this wonderful universe and how it works.
          But if we all do our tiny parts.
          Then over time it can become a beautiful place again.

Don't pollute!

I'm sorry for the long comment.
          I always have too many things to say and not enough space!
          Last edited by rmoltis; 01-28-2014, 10:12 PM.
          Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

rmoltis is channeling bobstad.
            If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

I ran an open DP on my old carbed L some years ago. Thrashed it daily, nonstop, and it gave me 42mpg all the time. I honestly don't know how it kept going. It leaked so much oil I never ever changed it and ran thick stop leak/smoke in it all the time too. Shifted it like a mad man always. Ran it WOT in 4th for hours at a time on the 4 lane a few times too.

That was one tough car. On another thought, why did we resurrect a years old thread that doesn't really accomplish anything? Hmm.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

now this is why i SMOKE. it leaves a protective coating of nicotine on my lungs to guard against all this airborne pollution crap.

Comment

6 years later, still running a basically open manifold. Short down pipe that ends @ oil pan.

Hits beautifully on all 4 without a hiccup. Old garbage coffee can spark plugs, 17 year old oem wires, original cap, even in dead of - 30*F Michigan winter. Occasionally chase moisture away of high voltage areas/connections with RD90/WD40.

Odbi so the 1st o2 satisfies the ecm.

48 mile trip for the past 6 years yields 1.25gal or so.

Having no back pressure in exhaust to hold back the piston on the up stroke obviously will not hinder the others intake. V6 and up cranks will cut closer to another Pistons power stroke, in all cases affecting crank rotation/inertia between fires.

There's benefit on a I4, how much, is it worth to measure if factory?

/me shrugs. I mistreat my vehicles. There's always another!

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

I can't imagine how horrible your hearing must be.

The only time I ever ran a completely straight pipe on a b3, there was a very noticeable lack of low end torque, and the mileage sucked compared to a full exhaust. Not to mention it was the loudest most obnoxious thing ever.
                    91GL BP/F3A with boost
                    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                      I can't imagine how horrible your hearing must be.

Earbuds and Pandora. Blocks some sound, and makes other useful sound.

Few months ago I could hear up to 16800 hertz down to around 35.

Not too terrible for 30.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro
                      Last edited by jason_; 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                        now this is why i SMOKE. it leaves a protective coating of nicotine on my lungs to guard against all this airborne pollution crap.
                        If anything that "protective coating" of tar would just be a sticky layer for all the pollution particles to stick/bind to.
                        Accumulating more over time.

Just think of a k&n oiled filter and how the oil helps catch particulates.
                        That's your lungs.

And since your smoking paralyzes the cilia in your lungs and throat.
                        They dont draw the extra crap up and out like a healthy non-smokers lungs would.

That's why you probably hack up stuff first thing in the morning before they are paralyzed again for the rest of the day from smoking.

In a healthy non smoking individual particles are caught in mucous membranes and carried up and out of the lungs by the cilia.
                        Where they are hacked up or coughed out.
                        Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Maybe it's like a liver. If you have any left at all when you die, that's a waste of a perfectly good liver/lung.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Working...
                          X