• Time
  • Show
Clear All

bigger wire

the bigger the wire = the better

yvan

Comment

Originally posted by DuritzCrows17
      Well I went to school to be an electrician, thats all I have to back my claim but I wont lose sleep if 0 people believe me or 200 people beleive me, just tossing in my .02
      Did you graduate?
      www.dantheoilman.com
      AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
      Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
      Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

ok use 0 gauge then, like I said I am not gonna lose sleep over this, best of luck with whatever you chose to do.

Comment

All I am asking for a reason, the purpose that smaller is better. I'm not trying to "prove" you wrong or not believe you. Just trying to understand why smaller is better. -Kyle
          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

I am not saying smaller is better in all cases, I am just saying 4 gauge is not the most efficient size, I don't have dynos to back this up so I don't know what else to say, its not that serious just do what you want lol.

Comment

Bigger is not "better" nor is smaller "better". I have NEVER done electrical work on a car but I pull wire a lot for lights at work. When we set up light systems we will pull the suggested gauge or at max 1 size bigger. I really dont know why ... maybe to just save money.
              88' Ford Festiva
              97' Chevy Silverado Z71
              94' Chevy S-10

Comment

Wire is expensive when it comes to electrical wiring in homes, and it takes more energy to run through larger wire (something to do with the amps I think?) to power the same light bulb then it does through say a 12 gauge wire.

I think when it comes to grounding wires though it has to do with how easily the wire can pull the current, not push it through. I wish I had the wording to explain what I mean.

Comment

Think of electricity like water. The bigger the pipe, the more water can flow through. The smaller the pipe, less water can flow/gets pushed harder. Duritz is probably right - there is not likely EVER a time when you would NEED 0g, or even 4g for a ground wire. Just means the pipe is usually empty.

Comment

There's always a point of diminishing returns.

But smaller isn't better. You can't put 100 amps of 110v through an 22 gauge wire....try it and see what happens.

Of course, putting 10 amps of 12v through 0 gauge is just pointless.

Appropriately sized is what is always best, or, slightly larger.

I'm guessing 8 gauge to 4 gauge is MORE than enough for a lame "ground" kit that does nothing if the current grounds are in working condition.
                    www.dantheoilman.com
                    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
                    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
                    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I guess I should have explained my reasoning differently like Jeff did a couple posts back.

Comment

Hey duritz check your pm's

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Working...
                        X