ok protege cluster question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok protege cluster question

ok i did allot of searching and seen a few things about that they swap right in but i never seen what years it was that will fit right in. i was wondering if any one has done it and knows what years it was and what they did to do it? all the ones i seen have two spots for the odometer and want to know how they covered that up.
    like this one i found on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...item3c9ba4d5ff
    Last edited by hofficergrover; 12-15-2009, 11:13 AM.

as far as I know they are way too wide to be a swap without the dash to go with it. I think you are thinking about the speedo swap the requires the internals to be swapped and have a new faceplate made up.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Yeah, that's what I meant!
      In one thread it was said that it was a direct swap, no fabbing or anything.
      Just taking it apart and swapping the speedo.
      Last edited by Pu241; 12-15-2009, 03:33 PM. Reason: Translated into English

Comment

i think festiva_tunner did it I'll look
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Yeah I did the swap - learned it from htchbck

It depends on if you have a white letered cluster or the orange lettered cluster
          The orange is a direct swap in however you will have to mod the white lettered
          You will have to make a custom face for both
          I'm looking for the pics of mine and his
          Heres mine:

Alright I found my build pics
          This is the material you have to remove:

Not an exact fit but it works

the new spedo mounted

Still looking for the thread.

Here's another version someone did - htchbcks looked very similar

Found Htchbcks thread
          Discuss enhancing your Festiva or Aspire interior and exterior (including custom paint, bodywork, seats, etc)
          Last edited by Festiva_tunner; 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM.

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
          92 GL - parts car
          97 aspire - parts car
          87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
          http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
          Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

awesome thank you very much. ok i got the white in the car but i have a 89 and 88 i think one of them has the orange. the orange is direct swap so i don't have to modify the white like you did right. also what year would be my best bet?
            Last edited by hofficergrover; 12-15-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

no you still have to modify it. his pictured one is orange. And you need a custom gauge face.

Comment

Read this and PM him for details:

'93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

haha ok thank you

Comment

ok so just do the cut in the plastic and then have a new face made ok so sounds like not to much work, but the new face i will have to get made.

Comment

i want to do this with the 323 cluster and change the face to white... unless there is another car that has a higher speedometer and the needle sits flat when you are not moving... i like it how all the needles sit flat when the key is off....

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                      1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                        ok so just do the cut in the plastic and then have a new face made ok so sounds like not to much work, but the new face i will have to get made.
                        According to htchbck he didnt have to cut any of the plastic away on his orange face - he still had to make a custom face though
                        He had mentioned that he had tried the white face but it did not bolt right in. So I took to the task of seeing if it would still work. I found that the protege speedo is deeper than the festy (mine was a 94 I belive). I cut the white plastic after removing the circuit board I originally thought i needed less and had just shaved it down but then the face plate would not lay flat. so I wound up removing the plastic entirely where the speedo bolts up. This is not a problem unsless you have to change the board or the guage. The only thing holding the speedo in this case is the board and the faceplate. I've been running mine for a year and a half now with out issues - My speedo is slightly off though so you'll want to compare yours to a speed gun or a GPS unit

****DISCLAMER: I do not sugest running as fast as you can past a sheriffs department speed check point machine ****

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
                        92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
                        http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
                        Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

That orange cluster was mine. It had the mx-3 150 mph speedo installed.
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

so are you saying that the mx-3 will fit? what year?

Comment

well there was only 1 model with a slight revision like 94 but the clusters were the same

Comment

Working...
                              X