No announcement yet.

Installing the Curt 11566 Hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good Dustin, though I would recommend using standard ft/lb settings on the torque wrench, rather than psi. Unless of course you are using the torque wrench to inflate your tires or check compression . Need to find me one of those hitches for Green Car.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Re: Installing the Curt 11566 Hitch

My apologies. I mistook pounds per square inch with ft.-lbs. Would you change that for me? I don't want to mislead anyone.
      In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
      There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

^^ Fixed!
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Installing the Curt 11566 Hitch

That's the first time I ever seen a convert a ball, that's pretty neat and i may order one

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

According to Curt, the hitch should be mounted behind the pinch weld. That way you don't need to cut the bolts or trim up the cover. However, if you do that, you will lose an inch and a half of reach, and you will score the cover whenever you attempt to attach a trailer. Prafeston, I hope that answers your question. Check the pics in the last steps to see the trimming from a different viewpoint.
            Last edited by DriverOne; 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM.
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Last edited by DriverOne; 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Looking good!

D1, I take it that those squared off "U" bolts are only available from Curt? They certainly make installation a little easier. When I did mine I used regular bolts and nuts (4 each) and had to punch two access holes (cold chisel) in the rear of the bumper beam to get a finger in to tighten all four. I also put mine behind the bumper beam weld seam and didn't have to trim as much bumper cover. It's sturdy enough, but I've only used it with a bike rack. No trailers yet.

I might contact Curt and see about ordering several bumper mount hardware kits to save on shipping costs. Those squared off "U" bolts look like they'd be handy for some other purposes as well.

Thanks for the write up!

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                  Looking good!

D1, I take it that those squared off "U" bolts are only available from Curt? They certainly make installation a little easier. When I did mine I used regular bolts and nuts (4 each) and had to punch two access holes (cold chisel) in the rear of the bumper beam to get a finger in to tighten all four. I also put mine behind the bumper beam weld seam and didn't have to trim as much bumper cover. It's sturdy enough, but I've only used it with a bike rack. No trailers yet.

I might contact Curt and see about ordering several bumper mount hardware kits to save on shipping costs. Those squared off "U" bolts look like they'd be handy for some other purposes as well.

Thanks for the write up!

Karl
                  You can buy square U bolts from Fastenal (and I'd imagine other hardware stores).
                  Here is an example

If I had the exact size I can get them for pretty cheap for anyone interested.
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                  The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

They're an unusual size. None of the local specialty stores had them. That being said, I'll measure the bolts and get back to you on it.

Karl, did you have similar results with your installation? I would like to see pictures of the finished product up close.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                      They're an unusual size. None of the local specialty stores had them. That being said, I'll measure the bolts and get back to you on it.

Karl, did you have similar results with your installation? I would like to see pictures of the finished product up close.
                      Yeah, just let me know the dimensions and I'll see if I can get them for anyone interested.
                      Nancy- 1.8L BP, aspire swap, g-trans
                      The Adventures of Nancy! Build Thread

My Musica! Click me!

Comment

Here are two pictures:

I can stand on the tongue and it supports my weight fine (215#) with no detectable movement. When I rebuild Luxstiva I want to redo this and use a less rusty rear bumper beam and refinish the hitch like the OP here.

Karl
                        Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-04-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                          looks good!
                          Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                          Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                          Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                          WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Thanks! Karl, that looks good. Covering the hitch with the Line-X was probably the best thing I could have done. I expect it to last indefinitely. One notable item, the bedliner seems to muffle the vibration from the trailer. I liken it to a Chihuahua playing tug of war with a bus.

Comment

That bedliner finish certainly looks great. I may be cheap and do a DIY bedliner kit finish.

Karl

Comment

This is the wiring harness you'll need to add to the vehicle: Hopkins #48895

Last edited by DriverOne; 03-26-2013, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X