No announcement yet.

Painting my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best way to remove the factory floor-pan insulation? This crap is really tough
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Air in a can (upside down), or dry ice and a rubber mallet.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

No chisel or anything? Just freeze it and whack and it should break off?

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
          No chisel or anything? Just freeze it and whack and it should break off?
          Or drive it to alaska

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
            Or drive it to alaska

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
            Lol I'll see how much dry ice costs

Comment

I assume freezing is to reduce adhesion and make it brittle. There are some parts that are gooey and pliable, but the majority of it is almost hard as rock. I'll try the dry ice in the morning, but in case that doesn't work...

Comment

I used a sharp scrapper and scrapped it off and what I could not scrape off I used a wire wheel on a grinder it is a messy job yo good luck

Comment

Cool thank you

Comment

Pour 100% alcohol over the dry ice. Leave it sit on the insulation for a few mins then tap it with a hammer.

Have done this myself, it's the quickest and cleanest way to remove it. There's plenty of vids on youtube showing how it's done. Dry ice is cheap, fishing/camping stores usually sell it.
                    Last edited by reddragon; 10-20-2017, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Good thinking. Here's a good one
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FqkxgcjRQQ

Comment

That method was so stupidly easy. Most of it came off in slabs larger than my spread out hand. I probably could've gotten away with only using 10# of dry ice and 30oz of 91% alcohol, but I bought 25# and 90oz, which turned out to be a good thing because I didn't do it all at once and dry ice doesn't keep well over night. It lost a lot of density, so plan ahead, start in the morning, and get it done quickly. When you crush the dry ice, you want it all to be between the size of the last digits of your thumb and pinky. Also, be careful to not break holes in your frozen, now brittle, bucket, cooler, etc... I used a camp shovel, which was much too bulky and awkward for the job, but it did punch through the ice quite easily. I recommend a strong right-angle putty knife, like in the video above.

I wasn't able to use this method on the firewall, so I would recommend using a 1" chisel and a rubber mallet. Use SEVERAL gentle taps around the edges of the section, then level the chisel to the surface as much as possible to still aim it under the insulation and use single, hard, swift blows with the mallet. I found this to minimize residue and help the insulation to break away in larger sheets. Be mindful of seams in the sheetmetal.
                        Last edited by Sid_RallyX_82; 11-03-2017, 01:41 AM.

Comment

Let the Reassembly begin

Got my car back from paint
                          (Poor upload quality, hard to see the flake)

Had them just slap some paint of the firewall since it was bare metal after I removed the insulation
                          Festiva-Aurora_insidefirewallblack.jpg
                          My valvecover to preview the color combo
                          Festivaa-Aurora-engingbayvalvecover.jpg

Comment

I was hoping someone would go all the way and apply Vantablack paint.

You would reduce your chances of getting a speeding ticket by 95%.

Unfortunately, Vantablack is not a suitable coating for use on exposed trim or as an external painted surface. After all, why would you want to turn a thing of beauty into something with no perceptible form or shape.

This puppy would be very hard to see at night, even driving down a brightly lit street.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 05-21-2018, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Brave. did you read the form required for just sample purchase of Vantablack in America?
                              Jerry
                              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Sorry, no I did not. I just thought that since they made it in aerosol, and the whole Hyundai building at the 2018 winter Olympics was painted with it, then no problem. Ooops.
                                Besides, who wants to drive around with all the lights on all of the time, day or night.

Comment

Working...
                                X