Would Like to Build Some Aero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Like to Build Some Aero

I would like to build a WRC style wing and defuser for my rally car. What aerodynamics have been developed in the community? Home brew or otherwise.
    Examples:
    Škoda_Fabia_WRC_Cyprus_Rally_2005.jpg
    9.jpg
    3654_KrisMeeke-Germany-2014_002_592x333.jpg
    2013-frs-brz-ft86speedfactory-diffuser-2.jpg
    Not sure what materials; Steel, aluminum, fiberglass, fibercarbon, kevlar... Looking into vacuum molding. May or may not use strakes. Also looking to making an under tray.
    Any advice for the front end?
    A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
    Instagram: jaredbear82

From watching the rally videos on the web - especially when they go upside down, rollover, crash - the front under tray seems to be made of relatively thick (.125" or 3/16") aluminum. This gives protection to the oil pan / transmission as well as some aerodynamics to the undercarriage plus it is fairly lightweight and easy to fabricate.

Comment

I have see one Festy somewhere on here with some Plexiglass aero work before. Clif Dodd's AutoX car has some PVC sheet splitter and large duck spoiler that look pretty sharp.
      I think Aero will be the next focus point in Festiva mods now that we have some very stable development in the Engine, Suspension, and Brake side of things.

I look forward to what you and others can come up with!
      Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
      Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
      Feel free to PM me anytime!
      Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
      Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

Found the Pictures I was thinking of, from the Road Racing Thread.

Originally posted by likeJIF View Post
        Pictures
        Neil (gorgenheim)
        Will Samet

JDMSTIVA - Rest in Peace. Festiva of the Month, May '16 - Best Beater & Bad Luck Award, FMX - (Build Thread)

JDMSTIVA V2 - Racecar, Showcar, Work in Progress - (Build Thread)

1990 LX - B6D swapped, mostly stock.

How to find me:
        Facebook messenger is the best way. m.me/willsamet
        Feel free to PM me anytime!
        Reddit / Snapchat / everywhere else: w4rky
        Instagram/Twitter: @WILLSAMET

Comment

I made that diffuser, I assisted in making the front splitter we used and the wing came from a guy that Neil knows. Keep in mind all this was done for a 24 hrs of Lemons car and not on a daily car.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the front splitter, sheet metal and an F150 front air dam upside down.

Comment

Put side skirts on the race car, from a Dodge Daytona R/T truck.

Comment

Will look into plexiglass. Good idea
                Video: Kyle Engineering: CF vs FG vs K
                Thoughts on combining FG with a cover layer of Kevlar for rally diffuser? I think that might be a good compromise of strength, stiffness, impact/abrasive resistance
                He mentioned possibly doing a video on different resins/epoxys, but I haven't found it yet

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Comment

Also, who out there with 3D printers can tell us what's the largest thing we can have someone print at low cost?
                  Kyle Engineering: OnShape CAD

Comment

All depends on how many pieces you want to glue togeather. Longest piece we can make is 24in iirc but none of our machines make cheap parts

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by ryanprins13; 07-18-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                      All depends on how many pieces you want to glue togeather. Longest piece we can make is 24in iirc but none of our machines make cheap parts

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
                      How does the glue compare in strength and rigidity with the printed material?

Comment

Not practical for my application, but I thought this was neat
                        Kyle Engineers; Infinity Wing

Comment

Sid are you on the FB forum page? I have many ideas that I have done and played with that may help with what you are planning on doing.

Comment

Sid, whatever came of this? Did you ever come up with anything? I never received any messages on the FB page or messages here.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm on the FB page, the name's Jared Bennett. I'm playing with some ideas in OnShape cad; look up JB_FF-Wing and JB_FF-Front-Lip. Still looking for a free simulator and I have a few very large projects to finish before I start this; might be a year or two, but to be optimistic that just means more time for refinement

Comment

Working...
                              X