No announcement yet.

Would Like to Build Some Aero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm working on getting OpenFoam up and running to play with some CFD. It's probably the best open source CFD package out there, but it's not for the faint of heart.

Your open foam sketch of the wing is well done, but I'm curious about some of the design choices. Are you intending for it to act as a multi element wing? With the lower "element" being a spoiler instead of a wing I'm not sure it'll work that way, and since they are both in close proximity to the top of the vehicle and not operating in clean air that'll make things a bit different too.

First off you need to decide on design parameters (I imagine you already have). What's more important, trying to decrease drag or increase DF? What are your plans to balance front/rear DF? Nominal operating speed?
    The splitter by itself won't do much without an air dam, are you planing to build a custom front bumper with dam or ?

And 100 other questions like that, which you have probably already considered.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Yes I wanted the aesthetic of a dual element #BecauseRaceCar and because I wanted to play with it in cfd to see how it works. My idea was that the spoiler could protect the under-wing flow from the recirculation behind the hatch and possibly allow induction flow from that area. Also you'll notice that the top side of the wing doesn't have an end plate to stop the high pressure air from spilling off the side, I shaped the end plate below it in hopes that it could generate vortexes, but this was just a first draft. Many changes will be made along the way as I find what does and doesn't work. Also I'll need to do extensive real world testing for proof of concept and to find out how much drag and downforce I actually need to make the car behave the way I want. Being that I am brand new to aerodynamics and CAD with no formal training I have little idea of what I want to do with the front and only made that lip as practice and to get familiar with the rough dimensions of the car. I want a skid plate, so I may end up trying to make some kind of smooth under tray, but to plan anything beyond that is getting too far ahead of myself. Right now my focus is learning how to build complex shapes in cad and learning how to use a cfd. I'm becoming familiar with OnShape and I tried a cfd app from the OnShape app store that I haven't figured out yet. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. I still know pretty much nothing about how air foil profile affects flow, drag, and df. Could you look at JB_Wing_240 and JB_Wing_Dual-Element and give me some pointer?
      A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
      Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Working...
      X