Alignment Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alignment Problems

I just bought a 1990 Festiva L that already has the Aspire suspension and brake swap. The car is sitting on Aspire struts and springs. The front tires have way too much positive camber. How do I correct this?
    5 Festys and counting!!
    1993 GL auto 126,000mi
    1991 red 5-speed B6T G25 swap in progress 255,000mi
    1990 white 5-speed/Aspire swap daily driver 273,000 mi.
    1989 silver 4-speed parts car
    1989 white auto El Festivo
    1992 Chevy Silverado K1500 soon to have 383 stroker
    1999 Mercury Sable
    1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Supercharged For Sale

I have the same problem, I have ruled out fixing it myself after seeing the wear on my brand new tires, I am just going to bite the bullet and invest in an alignment.

Comment

They sell camber bolts to adjust camber on our cars. Just check Rockauto.com for them
      Brian
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
      :fish:

Comment

Have you ever seen the rear tires on a BMW?? They run 2-3 degrees negative camber and do not have tire wear issues. It is mostly caused by the toe setting on the alignment. That is the biggest contributor to detrimental tire wear. Camber is the 2nd. -Kyle
        Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

^^^ so very true
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by 25Horseplay
            They sell camber bolts to adjust camber on our cars. Just check Rockauto.com for them
            I have bought the kit it looks promissing, yet to install . . . however if you do circle track this would be a great tool to have to be able to correct tracking

I'll try to get a pic up when I find my camera

EDIT:
            Found them on TireRack

>Link to Page Here<

91 L - modified to SLX- "Tin Can Project"
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2850897
            92 GL - parts car
            97 aspire - parts car
            87 323 DX - daily driver

Visit My Store - New Products available!
            http://www.cafepress.com/tunner

Car enthusiasts will respect all makes and models that preform.
            Brand enthusiasts are the root of all problems in the car community.

Comment

Do I get camber bolts for the Festiva or for the Aspire? Or does it even matter?
              5 Festys and counting!!
              1993 GL auto 126,000mi
              1991 red 5-speed B6T G25 swap in progress 255,000mi
              1990 white 5-speed/Aspire swap daily driver 273,000 mi.
              1989 silver 4-speed parts car
              1989 white auto El Festivo
              1992 Chevy Silverado K1500 soon to have 383 stroker
              1999 Mercury Sable
              1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Supercharged For Sale

Comment

^ x2 I need to know which vehicle to order them for and I will probably be cashing in for a set myself.

Comment

You should Order them for a 1994 Aspire, but If I remember right the mounting off the strut to the hub are the same size, that would be something to check out

92 GL - parts car
                  97 aspire - parts car
                  87 323 DX - daily driver

Comment

All camber does is lean the wheel in making the tire run on less contact area than one that is upright just like Silv3rBull3t said in his BMW example. It is toe-in, or out for that matter, that wears tires. If your car has any amount of caster in the front then adjusting the camber will affect the toe and vice-versa. That is why you see soo many cars that have extreme amounts of neg camber with worn tires. They did not get the front end realigned after dropping or whatever because most cars on the road today have some amount of caster in the front end or antisquat in the rear.

My local alignment guy (I would say one of the best around) told me that a front end with just 1/8 inch toe-in makes the tires skid on the road 8 feet for every mile.
                    -Bryant

Comment

camber bolts are the same for the aspire or festiva. Could your aspire springs be messing up your aligment?

David

Comment

Looking through my alignment book . . .

the only other way to adjust Camper besides a camber bolt is to loosen the strut tower bolts in the engine bay (or cargo area) and move the whole tower and wheel together

92 GL - parts car
                        97 aspire - parts car
                        87 323 DX - daily driver

Comment

Re: Alignment Problems

Originally posted by zrice88
                          The car is sitting on Aspire struts and springs.
                          I just reread that, you need to put FESTIVA springs/struts on there to reduce ride height (back to normal) so the suspension retains the stock geometry (AKA having 0 camber) Aspire springs/struts raise the car up and with McPherson suspension when lifted creates positive camber, when lowered creates negative camber... Hope this helps. -Kyle
                          Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

I've done two Aspire suspension swaps. I cut the springs one full coil and this results in what appears to be stock ride height. If you used uncut Aspire springs on your Festiva, you will have problems, to say the least!

After you do it right, GET AN ALIGNMENT!! I got "four wheel alignments," to make sure my Aspire rear axle had the correct thrust angle. After this initial full alignment, you should only require front end alignments thereafter, methinks.

Karl
                            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

with the car on the ground get a camber bubble gauge ( only 10 bucks ) and put it on the rotor and recond the camber. then jack vehicle up, then remove the top clevice bolt from your strut, slowly losen the bottom bolt and lean ther hub in towards the stut and using a camber gauge set the camber to your desired reading, personaly i have mine set on 1 neg l/h/f and .8 r/h/f ( but im in australia and have different camber roads), so i suggest you set your car up the opposite settings. tighten the bottom clevis bolt and using a die grinder linish out the top of the strut till you can fit the bolt back through. tighten up the top bolt tight!
                              take it to a wheel aligner ask them to set ya toe and your all done.

Comment

Working...
                              X