No announcement yet.

Doing aspire brake swap real soon. just few more questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it feasable to put on Aspire springs for the stiffness and then chop a coil or so to get the desired height?
    1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
    Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)
    Former addictions:03 Cobra, 04 GT Stang (wife's car)

Comment

I've cut Aspire springs twice. Cut one coil on each spring and that should give you the stock height. Ride is a bit stiffer, but not overly so.

On my first swap I had the Festiva springs measured and compared with the Aspire springs. I can't remember whether they had been cut or not when measured. At any rate, the rear Aspire springs were only about one pound stiffer and the fronts were about 10 pounds stiffer each.

I don't mind the setup, but I'd like to try heating up the ends on the fronts and flattening them to fit the bottom strut perch better. You really don't have to do that for the rears.

My next job will be taking another 1/2 to 2/3 coil off the cut springs (using a bit newer Aspire springs) on the front and flattening them like I described for a bit lower front end on Luxstiva.

I'll be installing the FMS Festiva lowering springs on Twin/Speedstiva.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I am sorry I should have specified, when I said cut Aspire springs I meant FMS Aspire springs. Are they much stiffer then the FMS festiva springs? I am looking for a decently stiff ride for cornering but not something that is going to abuse me when I drive it every day. I don't mean to jack the thread but I am also currently doing an Aspire brake swap and I have a set of 15" wheels that are 6.5" wide with a 38mm offset and 195/50-15 tires. The thing I need to know before I start the swap is will the wheel and tire combo fit with out any mods other then maybe some fender rolling. Thanks for any help!
        1988 Festiva w/ Rear seat removed and hatch area turned into dog cage, window tint, 1100w audio system, stock Carbed B3
        Other addictions: 84 GT Turbo Stang (drifting car), 08 VW Special Edition HD Passat (1 of less than 12 in the US), 2013 VW Golf R, 2001 Silverado 1500 (Slammed)

Comment

Any Help???

Comment

Working...
          X