Not Another Tire "Fit" Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Another Tire "Fit" Question....

This is NOT another question about tire/rim fit. I figured that out from all the other posts. I am looking to change the tire size to either 13's or 14's, however, after settling on 3 different sizes I'm having very little success in finding these tires. I'm looking for 195/45/14, 185/60/13 or 165/70/13. I'm hoping to find tires that will be readily available down the road so I'm not changing rims or tire size everytime they wear out. I had settled on the 14's but nobody here has this tire. Then I went to both the 13's and still can't find the tires.

WHERE IN THE HECK ARE ALL THESE DANG TIRES I KEEP READING ABOUT??????????
    '93 Festiva GL / "HOT ROD"
    '02 F-150 Supercrew
    '02 Excursion 4x4
    '98 Jeep Cherokee Classic Limited

Why not 175/70/13? they are everywhere, and can be had for pretty cheap.
    ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
    91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
    1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
    2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Didn't think of 175/70's. That's a good suggestion. Any mods to get them to fit? I was a little concerned about the 70 to begin with.
      '02 F-150 Supercrew
      '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

no fitment issues here, I have them mounted on stock aspire steel wheels. The front of my car is lowered, the back is about stock... when I had blow struts and old springs on my car, with four people in it going over a big dip in the road the rear would scrub every now and then... but not enough to be worried about and i don't often car that many people. with the stiffer springs/struts i haven't been able to make them rub at all.

If you have stock festiva brakes you may need a little more offset in the rear than the aspire wheels offer (I think aspire wheels are +35mm, with stock brakes you may need +40 or so), this is just because aspire drums are a bit thicker than festiva drums and you may rub the spring perch. another way to get more room in the back is to switch to coilovers and cut the rear perch off, gives you about an extra 1/2" of tire width clearance.
        ~Nate

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Even the 175's are getting hard to find. I found some Sumitomo HTR200 in the 185-60-13 new and picked up a spare set of barely used Falken Ziex 175-60-13's I don't think the Falkens in production anymore. I have to run 1/4" spacers on the back with the 185s but not the 175s.

If we were in Europe or even Australia or New Zealand these sizes would be readily availabel
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

With all the new generation "micro" cars coming on the market there has to be a growing demand for these smaller tires. I realize most are in the 14" range but can't help think this will change if gas prices continue going up. It never occured to me that tires would be difficult to find. I've got some time before I have to do something but I like the idea of 13's as long as I don't have to do a lot of mods. I appreciate the suggestions as they sound good!!
            '02 F-150 Supercrew
            '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

This is like a freakin puzzle. I found 175/70/13 tires all over the place but have gotten different answers on the rims. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle that you guys will spot because I'm in information overload. With these tires I am looking at 13x5.5 rims w/ a 4/114.3 bolt pattern, 44 to 45mm offset and a centerbore of no more than 59.6. I also found 185/60/13 which I like better and I know it takes a 13x5.5 rim. IF I read all the posts correctly I should be able to use both of these options without mods. Am I making sense to you guys or am I missing the mark?
              Last edited by BigWheel; 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM.
              '02 F-150 Supercrew
              '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

www.onlinetires.com has the Toyo Proxes T1R 195/45/14 for $340 shipped. I just got a set, it's what most people recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
                  This is like a freakin puzzle. I found 175/70/13 tires all over the place but have gotten different answers on the rims.
                  I've run both the 185s and 175s on factory alloy Mazda wheels with no problems. I believe they are 13" x 5"
                  Ian
                  Calgary AB, Canada
                  93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                  59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Fastivaca, what year Mazda alloys are you running? I've found several Mazda cars in a Pull-A-Part JY here but many are 14's.
                    '02 F-150 Supercrew
                    '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by BigWheel View Post
                      This is like a freakin puzzle. I found 175/70/13 tires all over the place but have gotten different answers on the rims. Maybe I'm missing a piece of the puzzle that you guys will spot because I'm in information overload. With these tires I am looking at 13x5.5 rims w/ a 4/114.3 bolt pattern, 44 to 45mm offset and a centerbore of no more than 59.6. I also found 185/60/13 which I like better and I know it takes a 13x5.5 rim. IF I read all the posts correctly I should be able to use both of these options without mods. Am I making sense to you guys or am I missing the mark?
                      That sounds right. I think the mazda wheels that fastivaca is referring to are 4x100 for the aspire swap... can't think of any 4x114 mazda wheels right now. I have some subaru wheels that are 4x114 13", the bore is a little big so you would need a centering ring (or run w/o one). I assume you've looked through the list of all the cars and their respective wheel info that is stickied here right?
                      ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

"I assume you've looked through the list of all the cars and their respective wheel info that is stickied here right?"

I have and knew that the Mazda were 4x100. Basically the car I bought needed work and I knew that going in so when I change tires I really need to limit the cost if possible. That's why I'm trying to stay with the 114.3. I have been looking at going with steel wheels, painting them glossy black, using a chrome center piece to offset the bright red. That said I can be swayed. Are you looking to sell your subaru wheels? If so what's your asking price?
                        '02 F-150 Supercrew
                        '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

I've only got two subaru wheels, their yours for the cost of shipping if you want them. I never had them on a festiva...

oops... I just googled them, I thought they were 4x114, but it looks like they may be 4x140 (?) I'm pretty sure these are the wheels i have:

so they may not work after all... i'll have to measure the holes later.
                          ~Nate

Current cars:

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

165/65R14 Bridgestones on 14" Mercury Capri (323 based FWD one) wheels myself. Tires are now $70 each at Tirerack, they've gotten pricier since I got them.

Comment

I'm seeing a lot of the 195/45/14 on here. The only ones I've found are Toyo and they are rediculously expensive. Anybody else using this size tire that's not a Toyo? Are these plentiful? I'm leaning towards the 13's but I gotta ask.
                              '02 F-150 Supercrew
                              '02 Excursion 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X