Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TaDa! 15"x6" Sentra Steelies, Nexxan 195/45R15 tires, 5/16" spacers, stock springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of rotational mass? Surely you jest... 64lbs is less than 5% total increase. Zero change in gas mileage, and I have 600+ miles on them now. Bigger contact patch = more traction = no spinout.
    Thirdman
    1992 White Festiva L - original owner
    1993 Green-ish Stinktiva™ L - totaled

Comment

No not joking at all. Rotational mass is not total weight of the car. Adding or removing rotational mass is something like 5lbs to every 1lb of rotational... 64lbs is HUGE. Please do us and yourself a favor and go to the track with both sets of rims. Leave those on and leave the other set in the back, do 2-3 passes. Next take the other set out of the back and put them on and put those in the back and make another 2-3 passes. Let us know the outcome. Even with the difference in tire compound (better being with the heavier setup) I would put $ that the stockers will net you a faster time, higher MPH even if just by .5 and time by at least .1

I have run my Festy in all sorts of configurations and I gained .15 just by going from 13" Aspire steelies to Honda VX 13" alloys (with worse compound tires I might add) and difference in weight rotationally was less than 5lbs per corner. -Kyle
      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Even with 13's you still would have wheel spin. Wouldnt 15's create a quicker acceleration because of the tire having to rotate less just to wind the gear out? With quicker acceleration and no wheel spin that would have to make for a faster 1/4.

Just my 2 cents but I have a set of 15 inch momos wrapped with 195/45/R15 that weight in at 10lbs with tire. I figure with a light weight rim and low profile tire, acceleration should be obtained with easy while keeping the same gas milage.

The better you can keep the power to the road the better. I also though about trying some 13's but wider tires to see if smaller but wider would be the same outcome.
        Used to own: 1993 mitsubushi eclipse GS-T and 1990 eagle talon tsi AWD turbo.

Currently own: 1992 Ford Festiva L, Gave to my brother.
        1988 festiva LX
        Future beast in the making:evil5:
        1992 festiva L, silver and going to be made into a 1992 LX.

1988 suzuki lt250R quadracer. Banshee killer!

Comment

rim size has nothing to do with tire rollout, whichever TIRE is taller will give whichever gear your in an effectively higher top speed, and will be harder to spin to that speed. if you're at the track and the combo you're using isn't effective enough out of the hole, switch to a shorter tire. this effectively gives you a shorter final drive (i.e. if you FDR was 3.72 with a 22" tall tire, a 21" tall tire may make the effective FDR 3.96).

BTW, there's NO way that your 15" momos WITH tire, weigh in at 10 Lbs a piece.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Sorry I ment to say WITHOUT the tire.
            Used to own: 1993 mitsubushi eclipse GS-T and 1990 eagle talon tsi AWD turbo.

Currently own: 1992 Ford Festiva L, Gave to my brother.
            1988 festiva LX
            Future beast in the making:evil5:
            1992 festiva L, silver and going to be made into a 1992 LX.

1988 suzuki lt250R quadracer. Banshee killer!

Comment

My wheel/tire combo has the same circumference as the stock setup, so no gearing change. And that 64lbs for all four tires, so since without a lsd, only one wheel is "chirping", so that's only 16lbs difference.

Yeah, on the other topic, no argument: lighter is faster. But for me, the benefits of more rubber on the ground outweigh (no pun intended) the tiny speed increase. I don't care about track performance, I care about my commute. Ok, 0-60 might be fractionally slower, but I am never maxing out my acceleration anyway. Cornering even slightly aggressively at legal speeds has always been less than confidence inspiring on my 12's, in both my festys. These new tires are vastly superior in corners, and that is a good thing. They also allow me to max out the crappy brakes without skidding. That, too, is a good thing.

Yeah, I'd like alloys, but I can't afford 'em. In my ever-so-humble opinion, my car is greatly improved by what I have done, in ways that I can measure, so I am happy.

Your mileage may vary, to each his own, don't try this at home, the opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of the parent company, etc, etc.
              Thirdman

Comment

You only have the 7/8 spacers in the rear? No Spacers in the front?

Are you satisfied with the length of the lug bolts? I'm not a fan of spacers but if you have a long enough shank I suppose it would be ok...
                88 LX - Twin turbo, Intercooled :p
                Recently re-chistened from "Cheapstiva" to "Expenstiva"

Comment

Any word on where you got the 1/8" spacers? Also, what would be the appropriate size for a single spacer (and source) in lieu of having two spacers on each side?
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

ebay bolt on spacers. they come in 5-40mm sizes.
                    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                      Any word on where you got the 1/8" spacers? Also, what would be the appropriate size for a single spacer (and source) in lieu of having two spacers on each side?
                      Got the 1/8" spacers on ebay. Knowing what I know now, I would go with single single 7/16" or 1/2" spacers.

The 12mm x 1.50 Conical Seat 27mm lug bolts are perfect for the rear... long enough, but not too long... plus they are chromy!

Yup, no (zero) spacers on the front.
                      Thirdman

Comment

I just want to thank everyone who has posted in this thread.
                        This has been the most informative thread I have ever read about rims and tires:

Nearly everything someone would want to know about our upgrade options
                        (Sizes, Spacing, Offset, Bolts, etc)

Thank you again,
                        Chris
                        Steve GT

Comment

I concur.

I have since purchased a set of 15 x 6 rims of an altima yesterday at a jy for $30! I am working on finding the right size tires... All I've found is 195/50R15.

I am thinking that they'll fit but might be tight. I'm also adding new shock/structs all around. Don't think that will make a huge difference.

Thirdman: I noticed you said you'd go with 7/8 or 1/2" spacers. Is 7/8's the better choice?

Just want to make sure I do it right..

Comment

OOPs I re-read the post. Not 7/8 but 7/16...

Comment

Where did you find the 1/8 spacers? I did not see them on the website you posted before.

Comment

Originally posted by boostmaster View Post
                                Where did you find the 1/8 spacers? I did not see them on the website you posted before.
                                I got the 1/8" ones off of a random seller on ebay. Don't forget, 7/16" is also basically 11 or 12mm, and 1/8" is basically 3mm. That may help your selection a bit.
                                Thirdman

Comment

Working...
                                X