brake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake swap

I just have a GENERAL question, can I use the festiva brake line hoses on my new aspire hubs, or should I order some aspire hoses? Will the festiva ones work for now? Or totally incompatible?

Also... BLAAA BLAA

Logan

You need the Aspire hoses. There is a little "prong" that goes into the back of the hub, which holds the hose in place... The Aspire one is shorter than the Festiva piece.

If you look at the 2 pieces side by side, you'll see what I mean.
    Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

Can you use/re-use the Aspire upper strut mounts? Assuming they are from a lower mileage car and are in good condition of course.

I assume the rear bushings are a direct swap. My Fest has 173k on it, and I am willing to re-use parts to save money, but not at the cost of safety.

Also I noticed that local auto parts stores want upwards of a $55 core charge for Aspire calipers, so I suggest buying them at the yard, esp. if you are going to get rebuilt ones, and they only charge you $10.

89 L

Comment

The strut mounts, from what I've seen, are the same (I had Aspire springs on the Pimptiva while it was parked over the winter and they fit fine)

$55/core charge for calipers? Switch to another store!
        Simon - pimptiva.com

Comment

I used Aspire strut mounts on my Mutt. They work fine, and if you get newer/lower mileage ones, may as well use them.

Karl
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I have since added up "replacing" all the Festiva brake hardware, everything down to the bearings and even the spring kit for the drums, and it comes out well over $500, just as a ref. from Advance Auto.

I know I should be able to get most everything off of an Aspire for under $300, so I plan to re-use as much as possible assuming its a lower mileage car and looks like its been maintained. I just hope that the one I find hasn't been hit too hard if at all for fear of buying bent susp parts. I am going to grab the Aspire struts, springs, upper mounts etc., just to have them in case I want to experiment with the springs. Plus it should make pulling it apart at the yard a lot faster.

89 L

Comment

napa is 55 dollars for the core as well.

Comment

I stripped an Aspire today. Rear axle, including E-brake line, cut the soft lines at the chassis, also took the struts and springs. Off the front I got everything from the upper strut mount to the control arm. Couldn't get the friggin spindle off. Also picks up all 4 wheels(steel) and the spare.

Probably get new rotors, try and re-use the calipers, maybe new hoses. Got go and get the sway bushings, and maybe upgrade to some GR-2 struts all around.

On the rear, I thought I read something about using a specific rear rubber line on the right and another on the left? Are they both Festiva or is one an Aspire?

I assume I can run 175/60/13 tires on the stock Aspire wheels?

Thanks
                89 L

Comment

The 175/60-13s on the Aspire wheels has been done by several folks and no complaints noted.

Using Aspire brake hoses on the rear will work fine. I reused the old Aspire rear hoses on my first conversion. I got all 4 new Aspire hoses for my next one.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                  X