No announcement yet.

How wide is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naw this isnt as bad as some that have been revived. They were General Altimax and Tire Rack did have them in a 185/55-14 at one time but not any more.
    Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    - Unknown
    I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
    - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
    - Bumper Sticker

Comment

enkei apache f10
      3 piece
      r13x5.5j
      4x100
      et 38

Comment

I would do the Aspire swap for those sexy wheels. (Hit my soft spot for old school wheels)
        Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
        1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
        2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
        2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Comment

I've Managed to squeeze in AR wheels that were 15X7 with 195/55 tires on all 4 corners. This did require a pair of spacers in the rears to clear the trailing arm (A 3mm spacer on each side), I am not sure of the wheels' offset, I'll update later. Modifications to the stock struts/shocks were to whack the spring seat with a hand slege while I had them out to put stiffer springs on. The car is not lowered much, just stiffened. I'll get into other susp. mods another time, but one thing I have to mention with wider wheels & tires is the rear wheel bearings! Relpace the outer bearings ever 3 oil-changes and adjust the rear brakes, too. The outers are so tiny (and less than $5) that any twisty driving is way too much for them.
          The baseball-bat method of rolling in the hemflanges on the wheel openings was done courtesy of an overly helpful friend while I wasn't looking; he coaxed the fenders wider at the same time so I'll take it, its no show car, he removed most of the splash shields in the front while he was at it, this removed a rubbing sound when I had more than myself in the car, so recommended.
          Some Tire models still rub the rear spring seats on a full cloverleaf @ 70mph, but only the first few times. those with a more rounded shoulder have no troubles.
          I've also run 185/60s on the same rims in the front for long highway stints (max rolling diameter)
          For winter, with the clearance I have, I run Hyundai 13" rims with 185/80s snow tires and drive right by the SUVs.
          BTW, Longer & Larger (17mm head) Lug bolts were required for the wheels with the spacers, and all 4 needed Hub-centering rings. ALWAYS use Hub-centering rings if the diameters don't match.

Comment

Working...
          X