Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zanzer View Post
    Aaaaaaaand to help get this back on track: :mrgreen:
    As far as the speedometer goes; I checked mine with GPS and it's only off by about 1mph.
    Zanzer.. to ask, is it off high or low? Reason I'm asking.. Farmstiva's speedo is off by about 2mph fast (reads 104kmh at 100kmh on the GPS).

So I thought that a few good ways to correct were by throwing some bigger wheels on it, another gauge cluster, or some other "unknown to me" method that would magically correct the issue..

Hmmm, larger wheels may make it worse..

145/80/12 - What is currently on Farmstiva
    Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    165/70-12 4.5in 10.5in 21.1in 66.3in 956 0.0%
    145/80-12 4.6in 10.6in 21.1in 66.4in 954 0.2%
    seems to be the difference (would be about 103kmh at 100) (62 at 60)

175/60/13
    Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
    165/70-12 4.5in 10.5in 21.1in 66.3in 956 0.0%
    175/60-13 4.1in 10.6in 21.3in 66.8in 948 0.8%
    might bring it up to 112 kmh at 100? (72 at 60)?

Last edited by darrenryall; 05-06-2010, 07:01 PM. Reason: adding info
    Carz:
    '09 Ford F-150
    '80 Chrysler LeBaron Town and Country
    '80 Volvo 240 2dr coupe

'93 Festiva GL
    225996.9 kilometers = 140428.0 miles on the odometer
    ...and definitely more soon..

Comment

So will 185/60/14 tires fit?

I know about the the lug pattern, and I see where the 185 or 195 x 45 tires slip right in, but will 185/60/14 fit?

The difference is $100. for four used /60/tires or $350 for four /45/ tires.

Just how bad will the brakes be?

Thanks
      roger

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
        I agree! So he didn't search. What's the big deal? The same comments and the same gifs are getting old. This is probably THE most annoying thing about this forum. (Monsoon, take the hint)

Zivon23, there's a ton of info on this site. Just do a search and you will find probably more that you are looking for. By the way, I have 13x5.5" wheels with 38mm offset and I'm using 175/70/13 tires. The sidewall is a bit tall but not too bad. I also did an Aspire brake swap so the bolt pattern on those wheels is 4x100mm.

Welcome to the site!

This is how my wheels/tires look like on my car (slightly lowered too):

SICK wheels!!
        -93' Festiva L (B6T swap in progress)
        -92' XR2 Capri (Parts car)

Comment

Thanks! They are for sale too
          Oscar

Comment

i do not want to sound negatibe but eventhough i did not post alot in the past year i just logged on and read the posts and searched when nedded meaning learned for any future questions i may have and wrote all of the information i learned in a notebook for future refrence.

Comment

Originally posted by qroger View Post
              I know about the the lug pattern, and I see where the 185 or 195 x 45 tires slip right in, but will 185/60/14 fit?

The difference is $100. for four used /60/tires or $350 for four /45/ tires.

Just how bad will the brakes be?

Thanks
              roger
              Roger,

I had a Festiva with stock brakes and I replaced the wheels/tires from stock to 175/70/13 (22.6" overall diameter) and the braking was terrible. For reference 185/60/14 has a 22.7" overall diameter. Hope that helps
              Oscar

Comment

i didn't see any mention of hub diameter in here.

so, whats the hub diameter? i havent picked mine up yet, but im wondering about a few things. im not really picky about offset and all that, just want to know the diameter of the hub circle (assuming the lug pattern is 4x100- which didnt seem to get actually stated here either though it was alluded to early on thru mention of geos and a provided link)

feel free to quote if i missed it
                Last edited by woodyvw16v; 07-03-2010, 10:27 PM.
                Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                Project Car Theorem:
                If
                a) w = all time
                b) x = time spent at work
                c) y = the number of project cars you have
                d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

Stock Festiva lug pattern is 4x114. Aspire lug patter is 4x100. If you have a Festiva, measuring the hub diameter is very easy. I guess the same applies for the lug pattern. And you should be picky about offset or you risk your wheels not fitting. Good luck!
                  Oscar

Comment

Roger,

I had a Festiva with stock brakes and I replaced the wheels/tires from stock to 175/70/13 (22.6" overall diameter) and the braking was terrible. For reference 185/60/14 has a 22.7" overall diameter. Hope that helps
                    I have 185/60x14s on 14x6 rims, which is quite heavy compared to Festy rims/tires, and the braking is definitely longer. My I also have rear tire rub on the Festy GR2s which I solved with 5mm spacers. On the fronts there is sometimes tire rub on the fender liner, which I solved by just cutting away some of the liner. I also BFH'd the fender edges a bit.

Currently I'm thinking that 13" rims are better overall, for lighter tires and rims, and no mods needed to the body.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 07-04-2010, 07:05 PM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Zivon23 View Post
                      Sorry bout not doing a search first..... ...must have had a "Senior Moment".
                      Aha, this explains it, he's an old geezer. Man I hate those non-searching-and-question-asking old people.

90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Stock Festiva lug pattern is 4x114. Aspire lug patter is 4x100. If you have a Festiva, measuring the hub diameter is very easy. I guess the same applies for the lug pattern. And you should be picky about offset or you risk your wheels not fitting. Good luck!

its not that i dont care about offset at all, but offset can be compensated for (to an extent) and the car is at my buddies hour about 700miles away so hub diameter isnt as easy as it would seem.

4x114 is a bummer though. means my wheels definitely wont fit. which is tragic since i have extra 14's. it does have the originals but the limited tire choice is a definite drawback to 12" wheels
                        Project Car Theorem:
                        If
                        a) w = all time

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

Originally posted by woodyvw16v View Post
                          its not that i dont care about offset at all, but offset can be compensated for (to an extent) and the car is at my buddies hour about 700miles away so hub diameter isnt as easy as it would seem.

4x114 is a bummer though. means my wheels definitely wont fit. which is tragic since i have extra 14's. it does have the originals but the limited tire choice is a definite drawback to 12" wheels
                          My fave basic steelie is the Metro/Swift 13". The Sumitomo HTR-T4 all-season tire comes in 165/70x13, and wears well. An upgrade in width, handling and quality with no clearance issues or significantly longer braking time. Available at Tire Rack.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 07-04-2010, 09:05 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

that does seem like a pretty good tire. and they're pretty reasonably priced.

i might end up doing a hub swap, i liked seeing the one on here with the vw teardrops, and another with some nice meshies. but ill have to see what kind of wheels i find at the junkyard.
                            Project Car Theorem:
                            If
                            a) w = all time

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

Woodyvw16v. Where you at?

Comment

Instead of wasting so much time and space complaining, why not just answer the question???? Obviously you know-it-alls must have the answer. Remember, not everyone is as smart as you. A little patience would be nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X