Forced into an Aspire brake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen bolts huh? Who'd a thunk it?

Yeah, see if you can get those cheap ebay struts.

If you don't win them, or if you prefer GR2s, I got my rear GR2s from Advance Auto parts for under $44 each.

I ruined my Aspire rear axle by overturning the bolt on one side and pushing in the threaded part in the trailing arm. There's now nothing for a new bolt to thread into on that side.

In the morning I go to the 'yards to look for another Aspire rear axle.

I'll keep my cannabalized bad axle in case I find a use for it: maybe make some furniture out of it after I learn how to weld!

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I almost did the same thing, but noticed the bolt was spinning, just not releasing from the steel strut sleeve. The bolt was only seized in the strut bushing, not the captive nut. So once I knew it would come out, I cut the bolt on both sides of the strut and then removed what was left from the captive nut. So nothing got mangled, but I need to get a replacement bolt. Took almost an entire afternoon and a lot of power tools to get them out.

I have GR-2s in the box ready to go. Now I need to find another free afternoon to start the swap.

89 L

Comment

Working...
      X