No announcement yet.

Tire/wheel weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW if the idea here is to save weight and use skinny tires as part of a high-MPG car, a 155/60x15 tire is about the same diameter (22.3") as a 155/80x13 (22.8"). I find it hard to believe that the 15x4 rim will be significantly lighter than a 13x5 rim. Using the 15x4 makes sense to me if used with a really tall tire, like my 165/80x15s (which are presently mounted on heavy steel spacesavers). That would give you taller gearing for the hwy, with no significant increase in weight.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Never mind. Answered my own question.
      Last edited by sketchman; 07-04-2013, 11:32 AM.
      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

These are a 1 or 2 year only rx7 spare wheel, they are made by Enkei in Japan and stamped MAZDA. It's common for high end cars and sports cars to have nice alloy space savers. These are pretty rare (still waiting for my 4th wheel to come along). They aren't super light even though they are only 4" wide. I had planned on building a MPG festiva, but now I'll probably just use these on my Festy trailer. I have 3 so that's perfect for a trailer and it'll be nice to have the same bolt pattern on the car and trailer.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I believe the original Minilites were magnesium.

I also think I've read that real magnesium wheels need more careful handling and checking to make sure they're safe, and they may have more issues with losing air pressure if they're not sealed properly.

Oh, and the cost... !

Charlie, I'm waiting for you to weigh those alloy space savers, with or without the tires on them.

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 07-05-2013, 09:56 AM.
          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I read quite a bit of Mikey's links and there are pretty good arguments given that rolling resistance was less using some wider profile tires. Still trying to get a mental grip on that, makes me want to tow a car around with fishing scales and measure different tires actual rolling resistance. This engineer was saying that at speed the easier rolling wider tire easily beat out the aero advantage of a narrow tire. If the tires are behind a good dam then aero wouldn't matter anyway. I keep thinking "yes but nothing beats a good bicycle tire" and they are really tall and narrow, also rounded tread.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              These are a 1 or 2 year only rx7 spare wheel, they are made by Enkei in Japan and stamped MAZDA. It's common for high end cars and sports cars to have nice alloy space savers. These are pretty rare (still waiting for my 4th wheel to come along).
              I've got one of these in my garage. PM me an offer and I'll see what shipping costs. Plus, that means we'll have a weight finally!

Comment

Working...
              X