Aspire vs Festiva rear struts, with pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire vs Festiva rear struts, with pics

Today I went out and changed my Festiva rear struts (KYB GR-2s, which I had just put on a few weeks ago) to Aspire struts by Monroe (can't find Aspire KYB rear struts). The reason is the supposed higher spring perch on the Aspire struts. To verify this, I measured both the KYB (on the Festiva) and stock Aspire (on the Aspire) distances from the spring perch to the middle of the bottom strut bolt. The difference was 5/8".

Pic 1 is the Festiva KYB GR-2. Using it, I had to install spacers to move the tire outboard. I am running 185/60x14 tires on 14x6" AR Estrellas, with 38mm offset. The tire is a Kumho Solus KR21, 22.7" tall. Even with the spacers, there is rubbing on the KYB spring perch. (I'll paint the spring when it gets less humid.)

Pic 2 is the Aspire Monroe strut. Spring perch is dramatically higher. I haven't driven it yet, but expect no rubbing; and there are no spacers on this side. I will report back on this.
    Last edited by TominMO; 07-13-2010, 11:39 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Yeah, you'll like the Aspires, Tom! Way better.
    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Yeah aspire rear struts/springs make a huge difference...i have had a car full of people and not scraped once so im pretty impressed. Try adding a strut bar aswell...stiffens it up nicely and easy to make.
      Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Originally posted by ShagFestiva View Post
        Yeah aspire rear struts/springs make a huge difference...i have had a car full of people and not scraped once so im pretty impressed. Try adding a strut bar aswell...stiffens it up nicely and easy to make.
        I've been thinking about that too. Might just get to it soon.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

It's worth it....just cut out some 2 1/2, 1/4" steel with a hole saw, drill the centers out so they fit perfectly over the top strut bolt. Then just slide them on, and measure the distance between them. Cut your bar, and tack it inside the car, then pull it off and finish welding.
          Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

OO yeah i did the full aspire swap with front and rear strut bars and it so stiff. You can try to rock the car it don't move at all, but still rides nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by ShagFestiva View Post
              It's worth it....just cut out some 2 1/2, 1/4" steel with a hole saw, drill the centers out so they fit perfectly over the top strut bolt. Then just slide them on, and measure the distance between them. Cut your bar, and tack it inside the car, then pull it off and finish welding.
              Whoops, I misunderstood. I was thinking of the steel bar that someone put in the front of the axle beam to stiffen it. I don't want a rear strut bar because that limits what you can haul. A front strut bar would be nice tho. I do have the front Aspire swaybar.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I have a rear strut bar no problems with hauling stuff. I's supper close to the seat like a inch away from it and if need to remove it i just undo the two bolts and its out and easy to reinstall it.

Comment

I just went through the same thing. Tried mounting some 14"s with 185/60/14 . They werent rubbing but it was to close for comfort. I noticed something else. The strut bellows you get for the festiva cost $26 and are hard plastic. The bellows for the aspire cost $13 and are heavy duty suble rubber. Much better !!

sigpic
                  The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
                  https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
                  Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

Comment

There's no such thing as a GR-2 for an Aspire unfortunately... they just use the Festiva ones, because without big fat tires (aka 195-205), they work fine for Aspire people.

Good to see that the Aspire rears are firmer... did you switch springs too, or just paint?
                    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                      There's no such thing as a GR-2 for an Aspire unfortunately... they just use the Festiva ones, because without big fat tires (aka 195-205), they work fine for Aspire people.

Good to see that the Aspire rears are firmer... did you switch springs too, or just paint?
                      Actually, when I manually compressed the Festy GR-2 and the Aspire Monroe to compare them, I discovered that the GR-2 seems noticably stiffer. But in practice, the Monroe still does give a firm but not harsh ride. This may be due to the Festy spring being slightly more compressed, due to the Aspire Monroe's higher spring perch.

I just painted the Festy springs.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 07-20-2010, 07:35 AM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                        Actually, when I manually compressed the Festy GR-2 and the Aspire Monroe to compare them, I discovered that the GR-2 seems noticably stiffer. But in practice, the Monroe still does give a firm but not harsh ride. This may be due to the Festy spring being slightly more compressed, due to the Aspire Monroe's higher spring perch.

I just painted the Festy springs.
                        Interesting... all good points. Thanks for the info!
                        1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

So what are the down falls to using the aspire springs and did you use the struts out of a 4 door or 2 door or does it matter
                          Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

I'm currently running Festiva GR2s with FMS lowering springs. How would using the Aspire struts with the same spring affect ride height?
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada
                            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Fastivaca,I just checked out your car domain.Nice clean,great stance!!!I'll be happy to get mine close to that.Looks like a much higher end car than it is.I've always wanted to own a classic MINI(the old one,not the Beemer),and I'm hoping to kinda mimic one with my 88" LX.In my head it's a mini anyway Great work,You've inspired me!!
                              Go Fast !!,Take Chances !!

Comment

Working...
                              X