• Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^ Thanks for the compliments!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Yeah I was wondering myself about the affect it has with festiva lowering springs. And would you still have the rub problem if you used the coil overs offered by fms. Oh man and fastivaca that is a nice looking car! I think if I was going to do a stock look that is very close to how I would want mine, maybe some fog lights on the bumper like a mini.
      Last edited by graywolf_14; 08-13-2010, 01:42 AM.

Comment

im putting 14s on my festy looks like i gotta find some aspire struts, but are the stoc aspire struts better then stock festys? and is the perch higher?
        1990 Ford Festiva 196k Automatic (Gone) " It's a small car so you gotta drive it like your ticked off... Small cars need to be driven fast"
        :spam1:is delicious

Comment

I'm going to be doing the Aspire rear strut conversion to my Festiva soon. I've read previous posts/stickies about this. It looks like I can expect the rear to lift 1" to 1.5" if I use Aspire springs with the Aspire struts.

What about ride height if you use Festiva springs on the Aspire struts?

My goal is increased load carrying as well as improved handling when unloaded. I've seen the coil-over converions, which are cool, but I'm on a junkyard budget.

Thanks for the strut pics.
          '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Okay, forget what I said about "coil-overs". I meant adjustable coil-overs. According to the FSM, the rear struts are actually coil-over shocks, cause the don't swivel.

So anyway, thanks for any assistance on my low dollar rear suspension upgrade.
            '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

^^^^
              Returned from ancient past!
              '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
              '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
              '92 Aqua parts Car
              '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
              '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
              Your holy ghost will not save you.
              Your God plutonium will not save you.
              In fact...
              ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                I'm going to be doing the Aspire rear strut conversion to my Festiva soon. I've read previous posts/stickies about this. It looks like I can expect the rear to lift 1" to 1.5" if I use Aspire springs with the Aspire struts.

What about ride height if you use Festiva springs on the Aspire struts?

My goal is increased load carrying as well as improved handling when unloaded. I've seen the coil-over converions, which are cool, but I'm on a junkyard budget.

Thanks for the strut pics.
                Regarding ride height, the Aspire strut's lower spring perch is only 5/8" higher than the one on Festy struts, so I would expect a similarly taller ride height.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                  Regarding ride height, the Aspire strut's lower spring perch is only 5/8" higher than the one on Festy struts, so I would expect a similarly taller ride height.
                  Completely agree.
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

^^^Greetings Pu241!

After a 2 year (self-imposed) exile, I'm completely reformed. My posts will now be about Festivas, only. No more nonsense.

So do I leave the Aspire springs on the Aspire struts, or use the Festiva springs? I'm looking for increased 'cargo capacity' and handling improvement. I'll upgrade the front suspension later.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      I'll be using this for clearance. I have Capri alloy rims and hope to use 185 or 195/60 tires.

This also means the stock Festiva spring would be compressed 5/8" if the Aspire strut has the same 'top hat' height. Would this stiffen the spring rate?

Is the stock Aspire spring shorter than the Festiva spring?

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

BigL, when I measured the spring rates of both Festiva ('89L, 120K miles) and Aspire ('96, maybe 89K miles) rear springs, the Aspire springs were only one pound stiffer. My guess is that is more due to age and mileage and the spring sets are the same. They look the same in both thickness and height.

Karl
                        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Freshtiva posted a great pic of the Festiva strut side by side to the Aspire strut.

The Aspire is about 5/8" longer between the lower spring perch and the bottom mounting bolt. I guess I'd need to see the Aspire strut loaded with the spring, compared to the same for a Festiva set up to answer my question.

I'll be going to the junkyard looking for Aspire rears.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Thanks for the input, Safety Guy.

Does anybody have any suggestions of a heavier spring that will fit on the stock Aspire/Festiva rear strut? KIA Rio?

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Rio rear susp is completely different. Won't work.

So far there is no confirmed stiffer replacement for the rear springs, except for the heavy duty rears offered by FMS.

Get the lowest mileage, nicest looking Aspire rears you can and don't cut them. That's probably the cheapest solution.

Karl
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by BigElCat View Post
                                Does anybody have any suggestions of a heavier spring that will fit on the stock Aspire/Festiva rear strut?
                                What are you looking at hauling in the hatch area or are you going to use a trailer?
                                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                                '92 Aqua parts Car
                                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                                In fact...
                                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                                X