Thinking about making the hand brake better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about making the hand brake better

I always have been thinking about the hand brake to make it better because it doesn't lock the wheels while moving. I know that the tyres are falken ze512 165/55R14 but it should be better. About a year ago I changed the brake shoes and it always been like this. In a slope it holds ok but when you need to make a u turn or something like that it doesn't work. Is there something to be done to make it better?
    :festiva: 1995 Kia Pride, 1.3 EFI, manual. :fred:

Mine works fine with my stock 12's.
    while driving 35/40mph and pulling up on it the tires lock up and spin me around.
    When I got the car it wouldnt do that. I think adjusting the spring on inside of drum made mine work better. forget what the "term" for it is called. But it made the shoes catch better.
    93L sold. First FESTY!
    91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
    91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
    89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
    93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
    89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
    93GL Sold Too Soon!
    91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Originally posted by gestiva View Post
      Mine works fine with my stock 12's.
      while driving 35/40mph and pulling up on it the tires lock up and spin me around.
      When I got the car it wouldnt do that. I think adjusting the spring on inside of drum made mine work better. forget what the "term" for it is called. But it made the shoes catch better.
      Yes when I had the stock 12" it locks but still it should be better. The handbrake always feels like soft not grippy.

Comment

Do the rear brakes adjusts automatically?

Comment

Yes, the drums do adjust themselves. Try the in-cabin adjusting thingamajig for the e-brake cable and handle. To do this:

Park the car, and jack up the rear on jackstands. Remove the e-brake cover and disengage the e-brake. Then, using an extended 10mm socket/wrench, adjust the tension on the spring (you'll see a tall cylindrical 10mm thing) and tighten it until your e-brake locks between 10-16 clicks. You test this by dis-engaging the e-brake, spinning the wheels with your foot, then clicking up slowly until the wheels lock. 10-16 clicks is the Factory recommendation, and mine is set to about 11.

Let me know if you have any more questions... this made a WORLD of difference on my e-brake.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
            Yes, the drums do adjust themselves. Try the in-cabin adjusting thingamajig for the e-brake cable and handle. To do this:

Park the car, and jack up the rear on jackstands. Remove the e-brake cover and disengage the e-brake. Then, using an extended 10mm socket/wrench, adjust the tension on the spring (you'll see a tall cylindrical 10mm thing) and tighten it until your e-brake locks between 10-16 clicks. You test this by dis-engaging the e-brake, spinning the wheels with your foot, then clicking up slowly until the wheels lock. 10-16 clicks is the Factory recommendation, and mine is set to about 11.

Let me know if you have any more questions... this made a WORLD of difference on my e-brake.
            Thanks for the info but I have already adjusted it to the max. If only there is some more adjustments. I know that there is another adjustment at the middle of the rear axle. I'll see if I can adjust that.

Comment

The emergency brake cable attaches to a linkage at the brake drum. That lever is made of two pieces that are joined by a pivot pin. It is not uncommon for the pivot to rust and seize up which can render the e-brake useless.

To fix this you have to disassemble the brakes, remover the lever, soak it in some kind of rust remover/release (PB Blaster, Release-All), until the pivot moves freely, work some brake lube into the pivot joint, then put it all back together.

I had to do this on my own car a couple of years ago and it did the job.
              Ian
              Calgary AB, Canada
              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                The emergency brake cable attaches to a linkage at the brake drum. That lever is made of two pieces that are joined by a pivot pin. It is not uncommon for the pivot to rust and seize up which can render the e-brake useless.

To fix this you have to disassemble the brakes, remover the lever, soak it in some kind of rust remover/release (PB Blaster, Release-All), until the pivot moves freely, work some brake lube into the pivot joint, then put it all back together.

I had to do this on my own car a couple of years ago and it did the job.
                This morning, I checked the adjustment from the middle of the rear axle. There is an adjustable nut to adjust the cable. The setting was on the lowest, so I adjusted it to the max best that I could. Although it was a bit rusty, the thread freed up after some hard work. There isn't too much adjustment so I removed the spring washer and I was able to make the nut move further. The thing that I don't like is that it comes from the factory as a one piece cable. You can't put a spacer between the nut and the cable. As for now it seems to worked very well because the handbrake feels hard just about 5 clicks.

Comment

One thing also to note is that you have some decent falken tires which wont lock anywhere as easy as the stockers would
                  It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1 View Post
                    One thing also to note is that you have some decent falken tires which wont lock anywhere as easy as the stockers would
                    true. but now it's a lot better.

Comment

I could never get that thing on the axle to do anything.
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
                        I could never get that thing on the axle to do anything.
                        What do you mean?

Comment

I could never get it to break loose and adjust.
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by lancerevo View Post
                            This morning, I checked the adjustment from the middle of the rear axle. There is an adjustable nut to adjust the cable. The setting was on the lowest, so I adjusted it to the max best that I could. Although it was a bit rusty, the thread freed up after some hard work. There isn't too much adjustment so I removed the spring washer and I was able to make the nut move further. The thing that I don't like is that it comes from the factory as a one piece cable. You can't put a spacer between the nut and the cable. As for now it seems to worked very well because the handbrake feels hard just about 5 clicks.
                            Good to know, thanks. I have noticed that my driver side rear brake does not grip as hard as the passenger side, so something's out of adjustment in there. I'll have to take a look.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Even if I had tighten the hand brake, it's always not good enough. I think that it's the brake shoes are cheap low quality. The brand is mk kashiyama corp. Does anyone knows a good brand for brake shoes? Is EBC good?

Comment

Working...
                              X