Mysterious brake problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious brake problem.

Ok so I done the aspire swap with protege front calipers. Once I was done with the swap I moved the car to wash it and it had alittle brake. I knew I was suppost to bleen the system but i wanted to wash it first so anyhow I moved the car and it stopped slowly and then all of a sudden the pedal hit the floor. Me and 3 other people have bled the crap out of the system and still no pressure builds up.

I replaced the rear brake lines, master, portion valve, and still nothing. The master has been bench bled numerous times. The booster checks out fine. After 25 bucks worth of brake fluid nothing has changed. I have no idea what else to do besides take it to a brake shop. Do you guys have any insight on this? The car has been down 5 days because of this problem.

There is absolutely no leaks anywhere. Does the brake pedal rod need adjusted? My ebrake works great.
    89L build thread http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=36422

1996 subaru impreza AWD 5 speed, EJ18

Post your festiva pics and vids here: www.movingviolationz.com
    My site: 20tessa.sytes.net

Help is badly needed. Any ideas would help.

Comment

what type of master cylinder did you put on the car? Could be the rod that goes into the end of it, but if you used a Festy MC then I doubt it.
      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
      89L Silver EFI auto
      91GL Green Auto DD
      There ain't no rest for the wicked
      until we close our eyes for good.
      I will sleep when I die!
      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Ya I bought a brand new festy MC from napa. There the only ones I could find that would sell a new resevoir with the MC cause I broke mine.

Alittle more info. When we bled the brakes on the rear a short burst of air would come out then fluid behind that. Once we bled them the 2nd time there was no air but just a weak stream of fluid. There is also no pressure building in the pedal.

When we bleed the front there is alot of fluid pressure but no air in the lines and no pedal pressure.

I am completly stumped. I have never ran into this situation when bleeding brakes on any car.

Comment

I would see if you could get a aspire mc and try that. Because my other car has the stock festy mc and it has a soft pedal and my bp car has the aspire mc and a good pedal. Both have been bled multiple times to get best pedal as possible. That is the only thing that i can think of or have a bad vacuum to the booster.

Comment

I thought maybe bad vacuum to the booster because my brother held his finger over the boosters vacuum port and I pumped the brakes and it caused the brake lines to have great pressure, air even came out of the bleeders on the back, but again the pedal didnt get anymore firm.

I can try to get a aspire MC but my brother used this same swap on his truckstiva with no problems using a festy MC.

I appreciate the help.

I also thought about trying out one of those vacuum bleeder things part stores have.

Oh ya if the car is running and you try to build pressure with the pedal, the engine tries to stall out.
            Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM.

Comment

still needs to be bled. They can be tough to get all the air out.
              "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
              89L Silver EFI auto
              91GL Green Auto DD
              There ain't no rest for the wicked
              until we close our eyes for good.
              I will sleep when I die!
              I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

did you bleed in the proper order?? i know there is a proper order that i neglected once before and i was like oh wait and did it proper and bam worked out great.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post

Oh ya if the car is running and you try to build pressure with the pedal, the engine tries to stall out.
                  Sounds like you might have a booster leak, sometimes. If it affects engine when pressing the pedal, most likely there is a vac leak someplace.
                  I will add, I have never seen one go bad some of the time but who knows.
                  Rodney

1991 FI 5 Speed Aqua Blue

Comment

make sure your bleeding on a level serface. this may sound stupid, how are you doing it? i had a friend who though you leave the bleeder open while pumping. i generally pump 4 times hold the peddle crack the bleeder and right as the air or stream starts so slow down quickly close the bleeder to prevent any air getting back in line. is there any obvious sighns of fluid leaking?

Comment

Well for one im bleeding it on and non level surface, that may be a problem. I am bleeding it starting with the farthest wheel from the MC. I figured it may need the crap bled out of it dirt but I have already went through 5 little bottles and half a big bottle of brake fluid.

Where Im bleeding on a non level surface might be the cause. Maybe the air cant flow out and it is getting stuck.

Hotwheels, I have ran the lines down from the MC to each caliper and wheel cylinder and havent discovered no leak. My rear lines were leaking but I replaced them with new lines.

I believe like dirt said they may just need the crap bled out of them. The lines were totally drained when I done the swap, but the whole system is new minus the booster.

Once the sun comes up Ill give it another go on level surface and see what happens.
                      Last edited by 91_festy_Gl; 09-09-2010, 03:45 AM.

Comment

This just gets more rediculous. I went out this morning to bleed some more and for some reason I barley have any pressure going through the rear lines. I checked again from the rear to MC for leaks and nothing. I called a few shops and nobody will touch this car. They say that festivas have a mess of a brake system.

Im so bummed right now

I cant believe these shops wont even try or suggest something. WTF!

Comment

Im gonna swap out the booster with a brand new one. If this dont work I have no idea what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by 91_festy_Gl View Post
                            This just gets more rediculous. I went out this morning to bleed some more and for some reason I barley have any pressure going through the rear lines. I checked again from the rear to MC for leaks and nothing. I called a few shops and nobody will touch this car. They say that festivas have a mess of a brake system.
                            What jerkwads. Must be "fly-by-nite' mechanics. Heck, the Midas shop by me has a couple "good 'ol boys" workin' there, fixed and bled mine, no problemo.
                            Last edited by drddan; 09-09-2010, 01:09 PM.
                            Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                            Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                            Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                            Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I believe I may have found the problem. I took the MC back off and observed the boosters rod going in and out as the pedal was being pressed and released. Im blowing air from the seal on the front of the booster. I checked the new one my brother bought and it doesnt blow any air at all. I think whatever brake pedal pressure im getting is just bleeding off. I sure hope installing a new one fixes this no brake problem.

Getting the booster off itself looks to be a royal pain but I guess it has to be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X