best suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best suspension

After auto-xing Casper i've decided that I need better suspension. What is the best suspension for the festiva? That and tires really limited me.....
    I know of using coilovers for other cars and adapting them for the festiva. This will be a winter project and Casper will murder people next season
    Proud owner of Casper

Casper already has fms springs on kyb's. Coil-overs is the "next step"
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

First I would get an Aspire front swaybar (from the JY, maybe $25). Casper already has the Aspire brake swap, so it has the stiffer rear axle from the Aspire. Then look into getting or making front and rear strut tower braces. You can accomplish all this for a lot less than coilovers, maybe $20 or so in materials, and may decide you don't actually need coilovers. Then, if you just want stiffer springs for auto-x and don't need him to be a daily driver, try using cut-down Aspire springs. Doing all this, you're looking at a total outlay of about $100, and you can always still go to coilovers if you decide you really really need them.

Have you changed the tires to Sumitomo HTR200s yet? Or some other sticky sport tire? Or are you running whatever tires Casper came with from FL?
      Last edited by TominMO; 10-29-2010, 05:52 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^x2 on the strut bars. they make a huge difference. Wasnt somebody on here talking about welding angle iron to the rear beam to stiffen it up?
        Tyler

91 Festiva, 5spd, B8 swapped, now for paint and suspension

Comment

Originally posted by ShagFestiva View Post
          Wasnt somebody on here talking about welding angle iron to the rear beam to stiffen it up?
          Yeah, but it was decided to be impractical. A couple of us (Leapin', myself, and Sasquatch) have done threaded rods through the Aspire rear beam instead, which has worked wonders. Easy $25 mod... check my build thread, page three for detailed info/pictures.
          1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            First I would get an Aspire front swaybar (from the JY, maybe $25). Casper already has the Aspire brake swap, so it has the stiffer rear axle from the Aspire. Then look into getting or making front and rear strut tower braces. You can accomplish all this for a lot less than coilovers, maybe $20 or so in materials, and may decide you don't actually need coilovers. Then, if you just want stiffer springs for auto-x and don't need him to be a daily driver, try using cut-down Aspire springs. Doing all this, you're looking at a total outlay of about $100, and you can always still go to coilovers if you decide you really really need them.

Have you changed the tires to Sumitomo HTR200s yet? Or some other sticky sport tire? Or are you running whatever tires Casper came with from FL?
            cut aspire springs? You so crazy...

PM quaddawg i'm sure he can give you some advice
            Last edited by big_ty2003; 10-29-2010, 09:13 AM.

1993 Festiva L, aspire swapped, selling parts for a BP+T build.

Comment

Originally posted by big_ty2003 View Post
              cut aspire springs? You so crazy...

PM quaddawg i'm sure he can give you some advice
              Just thinking about what's cheap to do. BTW I forgot that Casper already has a front strut tower brace; he also has a homemade B-pillar brace that the racing set belts attach to. But I'd still recommend a rear strut tower brace, removable so it doesn't impair hauling stuff.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I would go with the VW MK3 coilovers if you are serious about racing

Comment

Yep, definitely going to need more than KYB's and coilovers if you're going to be doing serious autocross. Sasquatch and I were working on a prototype for a quick-release rear strut bar, but I'm not sure if anything really came of it. Also look into polyurethane bushings, traction bars, and some seriously-sticky tires!
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Depending on what class you're racing in traction bars aren't legal.

Comment

he was auto-xing on 185/70/13s all seasons with some age too them. I know that just stickier, wider, stiffer side walled tires would make a world of difference. Casper already handles pretty good.

My sig pic of my car on 3 wheels is on completely stock suspension with 195/50/15s

And my Wife driving....
                      -Greg
                      BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                      Redneck Engineer
                      FOTY - '09

Comment

i dont see why anyone would put the aspire front swaybar on their car. Im pretty sure that would make it understeer worse... Sticky tires like Euro said and stiffen the rear of the chassis a lil should make a big difference. sounds like it shouldnt be half bad as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by sodikartracer View Post
                          i dont see why anyone would put the aspire front swaybar on their car. Im pretty sure that would make it understeer worse...
                          I totally agree with you, but some people have the attitude that "more is better"...

Comment

x2 I put one on my car and took it back off the next day.
                            -Greg
                            Redneck Engineer
                            FOTY - '09

Comment

I will get better rims and tires and a rear strut tower brace (I have another car so limiting space in it doesn't matter). Then go from there. I'm also looking at the G-series swap and then a turbo down the road. I'm also putting a crank dampner on it as well. So many things I want to get done on her
                              Proud owner of Casper

Comment

Working...
                              X