Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is an offset and do I need to worry about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is an offset and do I need to worry about it?

First I know the lug pattern, which I've read from DJ's sticky, Wil's site, 3 other posts in this forum + if I weren't lazy I'd take a measuring tape and figure it out.

This may be fundamental to you guys, but I don't know what the 40 mm offset means and if it's important. Does it mean if I get wheels that have a zero offset the wheel base will be 80 mm wider or 80 mm narrower.

If I want to run a 155/70 R12 tire, would I be better off with a 4.5" wide wheel, would it still fit on the 4" wide?

Also, is it possible to upgrade to 13" gradually, two wheels at a time with the 13" on the back and 12" on the front?

Thanks guys
    I will NOT drive a minivan

If you run a 155/70/12 tire you can still use the Festiva wheels, why would you upgrade your wheel size to 13"? And yes you do need to take that into consideration when making decisions on wheels. Wheel offset is the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the mounting pad so on our cars it is from the middle of the wheel out towards the outside of your car +40 mm if your wheel had a 0 offset then your wheels would stick out another 40 mm on either side. Just a lil FYI.. -Kyle
    Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

read this page
      Wil
      02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
      00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
      05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
      93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
      96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
      93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

So I should check for an offset close to 40mm. On 12'' wheels do I need to worry about my tires rubbing against anything when I turn if I have a different offset? Everyone who has 15'' wheels is going to roll over and laugh, so I'll laugh first :lol:

Is it OK to mount 155/70 on the skinny 4'' wheels or is it better to go to the 4.5'' It's a 6 in wide tire. Someone told me ''In his opinion'' I should have 4.5'' wheels even with the 145/80 tires
        I will NOT drive a minivan

Comment

If you still have your stock wheels, you can mount any 12" from 145 to 175 (even if I think they don't make any more 12" with 175). If you want a good upgrade cheap than go with some 13". Because you won't see the difference between 145 and 165. My dad has 165 and I had 145 and there's almost no difference. You can go in any junkyard and find some good 13" for almost nothing (about 100$ CAN for the 4 wheels and another 100$ for 4 tires).
          Is that a Festiva that just passed me?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
          X