Vial wheels.....any info on them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vial wheels.....any info on them?

Anybody here ever seen or heard of Vial wheels? Really wanting to get a set but don't know much about them or if they're hard to find/expensive. Here's some pics...

I'm pretty sure they're made by Ronal. They came in 13x6 et33 but unsure of any other sizes/details. A guy up in Pa has a set he'll sell me with new Sumitomo 175/50 tires but I don't know if his asking price is fair or not (plus the fact I'd have to pay for shipping from Pa to Nc). If anyone has any info or has a set please respond!
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

OR.....if anyone knows of wheels that are similar to these and more readily available please chime in!
    "Lane, I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy."

Gone but never forgotten, "Hulkstiva"...http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ht=progression

Comment

I don't normally keep up with the names of those type of style rims, they're not my taste thats for sure

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I had the same wheels on an 89 LX but they were Enkei's. I think Enkei actually copied Vial which were made in France. How much are you getting them for? I think they look a lot better than other mesh wheels like the Enkei 92's.
        Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
          I had the same wheels on an 89 LX but they were Enkei's. I think Enkei actually copied Vial which were made in France. How much are you getting them for? I think they look a lot better than other mesh wheels like the Enkei 92's.
          Yeah I love them! As of right now the guy is asking $500 with brand new tires.....said he's willing to negotiate though

Comment

They look nice, but how light are they? "Looks" is great, but unsprung rotational weight is greater...er...I mean "less."

I might pay that price if the wheels were around 10 pounds. Over 12 pounds, no way. But to each his own. I really wanted the 10.8 pound Miata hollow spoke wheels, but they always seemed to be running at least $250 a set, and they never seemed to be close by. Then I picked up a set of Miata solid spoke wheels at 11.5 pounds each for $60. "Cost effective" makes me happy. Oh, the seller was about four blocks away! Took maybe fifteen minutes to go get them and bring them home. Now that's "efficient!"

I'd love to have some Panasports or Minilites, or even these mesh style wheels, but I will do the "cost effective" questions to see if they are really worth it to me.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-04-2010, 03:26 PM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

$500 is very steep IMO. I got mine for $150 with new michelins and the wheels were in very good condition. For $500 I would look for a nice set of Panasports with tires, but if you can afford them and like them, I say go for it.
              Last edited by perucho; 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM.
              Oscar

Comment

Originally posted by perucho View Post
                $500 is very steep IMO. I got mine for $150 with new michelins and the wheels were in very good condition. For $500 I would look for a nice set of Panasports with tires, but if you can afford them and like them, I say go for it.
                Very steep! I was hoping to find a set in the $200-$300 range

Comment

lane if its just in PA id make a weekend out of it an drive up there an pickem up cuzz shipping would cost more than fuel ..they look good id go for it
                  Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy an taste great with katsup!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mattman View Post
                    lane if its just in PA id make a weekend out of it an drive up there an pickem up cuzz shipping would cost more than fuel ..they look good id go for it
                    Yeah, if I can get him down to a price that's reasonable I'll probably do that

Comment

Just found out that bbs ra wheels have a very similar look, so I'm also searching for a set of those! Since they're bbs I'm sure they come with a hefty price tag though! I've got a set of bbs basketweaves to throw in the deal as well so maybe that'll help me out

Comment

if i recall the vials are fairly rare, or at least "classic". bbs ras are likely to get pricey if they're in good condition, i like the ra's but so many people have them. if the vials have original, decent center caps it would be worth trying to talk the guy down. what tires are on them? if they are brand new, mediocre tires they're worth well over 200 by themselves (or at least thats what they would cost)

this may be of some assistance

there are a pretty good number of wheels with that look, some are harder to find than others- alot depents on the size/offset/lug pattern
                        Originally posted by scirocco*joe
                        Project Car Theorem:
                        If
                        a) w = all time
                        b) x = time spent at work
                        c) y = the number of project cars you have
                        d) z = amount of time you can spend each project car

Then

z = (w - x) / y

Comment

Originally posted by woodyvw16v View Post
                          if i recall the vials are fairly rare, or at least "classic". bbs ras are likely to get pricey if they're in good condition, i like the ra's but so many people have them. if the vials have original, decent center caps it would be worth trying to talk the guy down. what tires are on them? if they are brand new, mediocre tires they're worth well over 200 by themselves (or at least thats what they would cost)

this may be of some assistance

there are a pretty good number of wheels with that look, some are harder to find than others- alot depents on the size/offset/lug pattern
                          Thanks! Yeah, vwvortex is the main place I'm looking!
                          Oh, and the wheels have all but one centercap, tires are brand new 175/50 Sumitomo's
                          Last edited by lanemeyer14; 12-08-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Heard back from the guy with the Vial wheels again. Says he'll let me have them for $450 shipped.
                            The tires are brand new sumitomo htr 200....those are like $50 each, so $200 for the tires alone. Not to mention mounting and balancing, plus the price of the wheels themselves and shipping. Good deal?

Comment

If you really want these wheels and haven't seen them anywhere in the past couple months, then get them. Figure $200 for the tires, another $40 for mounting and balancing, $50 for shipping, so they are costing you an estimated (by me) $160.

Are they in the shape you want and can you afford them?

(Also, why is he getting rid of them? I would wonder about that.)

If all questions are answered to your satisfaction, you have our blessings. :p

Of course, we expect pictures on your car within 8 hours upon arrival.

Make sure they're clean and presentable!

You may thank us at that time for our sage wisdom.

Karl
                              Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-09-2010, 12:47 PM.
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X