Come on guys lets break into the 11s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come on guys lets break into the 11s

I think one of the major things holding people back from running faster 1/4s is the front suspension design. It was designed to be cheap and only handle 63hp. Start putting lots of power through it with sticky tires and its just useless. Stiffer bushings seem to help but its still limited. If we can come up with a good design for some traction bars Im shure there will be faster ets and fewer broken transmissions.

Ive been thinking about how to do this for awhile now and have come up with a few ideas. They arent the greatest so I want to hear your thoughts and inputs on this. There are 1 or 2 other ideas floating around my head but they would need to be welded in. These 3 could just bolt into any festy.

Idea 1:
    This is the one Ive been spending the most time on. Basically it involves building a subframe and bracing. This may require the elimination of the sway bar or a custom bent one.

Idea 2:
    Just run a traction bar from the control arm to an existing point. Again may have to do something about the sway bar its in the way of everything.

Idea 3:
    Got this idea from probe talk.

Anyways the one problem I have with all of these is how to connect to the lower control arm. It wouldnt be that hard to just make a tubular lca that would also eliminate the bushings with spherical joints but it would be hard to connect to the stock sway bar. I dont think it would be too hard to have a custom one bent up that would allow the use of sway bar links that connect to the front struts or lca.

Or make clamps like ketchup did for his rwd festy.
    Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

I like Idea #2, that is something i want to play around with and i was also thinking of ketchups idea for mounting the brace to the lower control arm

I think one of the other reason's why no one has broke into the 11's is no one has built a festiva with enough power to hit 11's, or if they built a festiva with enough power, they haven't raced it enough to make the 11's (ie. grocerygetter's old festiva)

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

There are a whole bunch of 11 second Festivas on here... just take any 12 second Festiva and make it AWD with a little weight reduction! But yes, as usual, I'm in total agreement with Chris about #2.
      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

i think with the set up i have once it gets warm i should be able to make some good passes, ketchups idea is basically a "A" arm desighned control arm which is what we used from a 323 bf chassis

where not running a sway bar at this time but im not sure if its going to be needed at the moment, the car orginally had the g25mr with a phantom grip, well the wheel hop shattered the spider gears. So we swapped in a Kia trans with a mfactory LSD, the car actully hooks now. The car actully feels slower but i dont think it is, i think it feels that way becuase both tires are actully hooking and im not fighting the torque steer. right now the biggest problem seems to be ignition issues, i have the gaps closed up to .020 and it it breaks up a little, the stock ignition sucks for anything over 12 psi. so over the winter the plan is a COP set up with a built head.
        Last edited by Hot_Wheels; 12-04-2010, 03:11 PM.

Comment

also if anyone else tries the 323 bf arm swap which is real simple just need to make a U bracket for the other part of the control arm, anyways theres a group buy on clubprotege.com for some metal sperical bushings which will help as well but there not cheap

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
            i think with the set up i have once it gets warm i should be able to make some good passes, ketchups idea is basically a "A" arm desighned control arm which is what we used from a 323 bf chassis
            I way over think things sometimes.:disgust:

Do you have any pictures of how thats bolted in? I think im going to need to run to the junkyard next saturday I know theres a bf hatch sitting there.

Way too many cars

Comment

i have some plans.... but they are top secret... the SASQUATCH will be the first to the 11's

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
              1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

it just 2 bolts going up and bolting to a plate where the cage is welded in, i would just weld a piece of stock to the floor and drill it, the cars in storage now but maybe i can get a few more pics in a couple days, im not sure but bg controls arms may be the same

Comment

I was cutting 1.9-1.85 60fts with my car and all i had were urethane sway bar bushings preloaded like crazy with washers.
                  I don't think that is what is keeping us out of the 11's....i'd break a tranny past 60 ft everytime......those damn diffs are the weak point.

Comment

Originally posted by grocerygetter View Post
                    I was cutting 1.9-1.85 60fts with my car and all i had were urethane sway bar bushings preloaded like crazy with washers.
                    I don't think that is what is keeping us out of the 11's....i'd break a tranny past 60 ft everytime......those damn diffs are the weak point.
                    but you where using the stock diff... if you had put in a lsd or somthing it would have been alot stronger and you would have had a better launch cause you wouldnt do the 1 tire fire and zig zag down the track lol...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
                    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

Before i try any crazy ideas for traction bars etc. i'll be getting an Mfactory diff :evil4:

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I agree...m factory diff for the win.
                        Im ordering their helical diff for my civic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
                          it just 2 bolts going up and bolting to a plate where the cage is welded in, i would just weld a piece of stock to the floor and drill it, the cars in storage now but maybe i can get a few more pics in a couple days, im not sure but bg controls arms may be the same
                          bg control arms are alittle different but they should work too. Ill grab some and find out.

Way too many cars

Comment

are the 323 arms any longer that the festiva ones? or dose it place the hub further forward or back in the wheel well?

Mike, AKA the sasquatch

Comment

^^It's just more of an A-arm style

Comment

Working...
                              X