No announcement yet.

Finally got some 13" rims!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They clear the rear struts by a hair, the front rub right now because I have the springs cut 2 coils. I still want to switch to aspire struts all around, give me more clearance all around. I can't really tell how they handle in snow yet, take off sucks, but that might just be ice. I feel like I can stop better tho. They are used tires, but still good tread.
    Last edited by 91blufestiva; 12-20-2010, 02:19 PM.
    -Josh R

Comment

Cut Festiva springs?

I ran cut Aspire springs on Aspire struts on two of my cars. FYI, cutting one coil gives approximate stock ride height. If you run uncut Aspire front springs you may get too much height and mess up your camber. On the other hand, running uncut Aspire rear springs on Aspire struts should help out a lot.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yes, right now they are cut festiva springs. I will try running regular festiva struts/springs for a little while, then if they still rub I will try the stiffer aspire strut.
        -Josh R

Comment

You might consider running Kia Rio front struts with either cut Aspire or Rio springs. The Rio strut would be quite a bit newer and probably have more resistance to any stiffer springs you would use. I'm using Rio struts with cut Aspire springs in my latest build, but I haven't gotten it on the road yet. I think I paid around $25 for each of mine; that's about half the price of new Aspire struts.

Look for '01 to '02 Rio front struts (w/ two bolt strut mounts). Later ones had three bolt mounts, but I guess you could use yours. Not sure they fit, though.

Just an idea in case you hadn't read about it.

Karl

Comment

Yeah I did read about that, but i forgot all about Rio struts lol. Well I'm going to have to think about those as well, time to call some junkyards!
            -Josh R

Comment

Glad I said something then! My newer Rio struts are just so nice and smooth swiveling at the top! Night and day difference between them and my old Aspire struts.

(As you probably remember, the rear Rio stuff don't fit. Totally different.)

Karl

Comment

Yupp! Thanks much! Hopefully I can get some. Do you know if rear aspire springs will work in Rio front struts?
                -Josh R

Comment

No, I never tried that.

Karl

Comment

rims look nice!!
                    B6 with lightweight Flywheel, FMS street cam
                    Holy heck gee willickers its fast!!drool

Comment

I weighed Volkswagon Jetta rims at 17 LBS.
                      I wonder how much lighter a 14" rim can get?
                      I have posts here of the Honda rims that are light, but cannot recall the LBS.
                      Aspires and Sways all around, Miata B6 installed, KYB G2Rs just installed in front. Wish for coil overs someday.

Comment

Seventeen pounds for a 14" rim ain't light!

Here is a handy chart for Miata rims, many of which are 14":

Ten to twelve pounds for a 14 X 6" rim is "light." Up to fifteen is "so-so." Over that is "heavy" for an alloy wheel. (My judgment.)

A couple more comparisons:

13 X 4.5" Aspire alloy is 13 pounds.
                        13 X 5.5" VW alloy (seven spoke older wheel--see my pics of Muttstiva) is 15 pounds.
                        13 X 5" Honda Civic VX is supposed to be 9 pounds.
                        14 X 5" (?) Honda HX rim is, IIRC, around 11 pounds.

I consider both of the top two 13s to be "a bit heavy." Not horrid, mind you, just not as light as I think they coulda/shoulda been.

Karl
                        Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-23-2010, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X