No announcement yet.

Spring rate questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-From the Steve Smith "Racer's Math Handbook", you can calculate coil spring rate pretty easily by measuring wire dia., coil dia. (center to center), # of free coils. The formula used is (wire dia to the fourth power x 12,000,000)/(8 x # of free coils plus half a coil x coil diameter to the third power) = spring rate (lbs/in). I've used this numerous times in the past and as long as you measure accurately, it's within 5 lbs of the measured rate. I measured the stock springs from my '92 and they were 80 lbs/in front and rear, with the rears 2" shorter. The formula can help you predict how much rate you will gain if you shorten a stock spring. If you have a 100 lb spring w/ 5 coils, and you remove one coil, the rate will increase approximately 20% provided you don't screw up the spring seat geometry too bad.

Comment

that's odd, i recall the rear springs to be thinner and taller than the fronts with fewer coils... i'll look into it more.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So with rio springs in the front and aspire fronts in the rear do u guys think these will rub?

Just kidding they are really for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That one got me. Funny!!!
          -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            that's odd, i recall the rear springs to be thinner and taller than the fronts with fewer coils... i'll look into it more.
            When I did the V6 mid engine rwd conversion to my 92 (the angry little blue car) I used the rear springs in the front struts to drop the front back down (since it was a lot lighter w/ no engine under the hood) they fit the spring seats just fine. I checked both front and rear springs on an intercomp spring rater and was suprised that the rates were the same. Keep in mind they were festiva springs, not aspire.

Comment

ok, good to know.

... so when are you going to bring that 92 down to Madness? hmmm????
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If it fits my schedule next year, I'd love to be there. Currently, I'm having trouble finding enough time to get adequate sleep, let alone taking a road trip. Busy, Busy Busy.....

Comment

Working...
                X