Aqua's new (used) Estrellas on deck!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aqua's new (used) Estrellas on deck!

Yesterday I bought a set of 13 X 5.5" dual bolt pattern AR Estrellas from a local guy who had them on CL. Talked with him some too. He's running an SCCA 1st Gen CRX. He's getting rid of his 13" wheels to run other sizes. I paid him $120 and asked him to keep a lookout for a set of VX wheels that the Honda guys don't need.

Before cleaning:

Closeup of one:

After cleaning, next to Aqua, the rashed one on the left:

I plan to paint these, keeping the rims and center original untouched silver clearcoat, and touch up some of the rash scars if I can. Then I'll sand the middle spoke areas with 320 grit (per the Duplicolor youtube video) and paint them black. Then I'll see how they look and probably will brush paint a comparable "Smurf Blue" coat to emphasize the top surface of the spokes, matching the car and making my Estrellas "blu-nique."

I think I'll go for the new Falken Ziex 912s in 175/60-13, for tires that closely match the diameter of the stock 12" originals.

These Estrellas are supposed to weigh about 12.5 pounds each, a full 2.5 pounds lighter than my VW alloys. Going from those heavy wheels with BIG 175/70s to the lighter, smaller rollers should give Aqua a nice kick in the acceleration department!

The only downside is that one pattern is 100mm (4"), but the other one is 108 (4.5"), so no fitting on a stock Festy. On the other hand, the extra four holes lighten it up another ounce or two. :p No center caps either, but I don't like Estrella centers, so no loss there.

This'll take a couple weeks to finish. More pics upon completion.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-09-2011, 10:20 AM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

rj. has thes but they arent dual pattern... i figured dual pattern mustve started at 14"
    91L 5 sp, 175k,a/c ,KYB gr2,Fms Lowering springs ,13" konig's ,09 tiburon seats, 7" Pyle in.dash,kicker ds400 all around,Kicker 400.2 powering 2 Kicker cvr 10", 30k hid's, hopeful to find a xr2 to swap b6t from....

2010 mazdaspeed3 stock... for now

Comment

Hey Karl Great buy, what color are you going to paint them. o.k. i see you have plans of painting them Black.
      Last edited by sc72; 06-09-2011, 10:32 AM.
      An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I looked them up and all the 13" duals appear to be 100/108mm. There is another model with only 4 X 114.3 to fit Festivas. I think one of the 14" Estrellas has dual 100/114.3 pattern to fit Aspire/Festiva.

These wheels and the 175/60 Falkens should lower my car about 3/4" from the 175/70s on it now.

Sc, black middles with silver outer lip and center. I want to hand paint light blue over the topmost surface of the spokes to highlight them and match the car. The black background will make the sides of the spokes kinda disappear. I'll do one and see how I like it. If not, I'll just keep the middle all black.

He had been asking $150, and his ad was a week or two old. So I made an offer and he took it. I think it's a pretty good price considering the 13" size. However, I paid less for both sets of my Aspire alloys (13 X 4.5" and 13 pounds) from the 'yard one summer (about $100 a set, IIRC). I also paid less for my Miata Daisies ($80?) and my Miata solid seven spokes ($60 and only a few blocks driving to get them!).

The only wheels I paid more for were my Miata '99+ five spokes, for $125. They look nice but are 12.7 pounds each compared with the seven spokes' 11.6 pounds.

But I'm not complaining! Maybe I'll luck onto a set of VXs for $150!

Karl
        Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-09-2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Sounds like a plan, would like to see pic's when your done.
          An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

I've got the 14" Estrellas in 100/114.3, and had 'em on three different cars so far!
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You know guys, I've never been too keen on Estrellas, especially compared with the "old school" wheels like Minilites, Panasports, meshies and Libres, etc.

However, these might grow on me. If so, maybe I'll get a dual bolt pattern set of 14 X 6s some day.

Hmmm, I've got:

-one set of Aspire steelies
              -two sets of Aspire alloys
              -one set of VW alloys
              -three sets of Miata rims (5, 7 spoke and Daisies)
              -one set of Metro steelies
              -maybe 1.5 sets of Festiva steelies
              -two sets + of Festiva alloys
              -now one set of Estrellas

I'm a wheel collector!

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Ya, i'm not sure your going to like those Estrellas, so when you get bored with them OR run out of room, i'll make room for them here on my Festy. JK. they will look great on your car. And remember we need pic's.

Comment

Working...
                X