Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which promotes better handling front or rear strut bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which promotes better handling front or rear strut bar?

I have a strut tower brace laying around here and I was about to connect it to the front strut tower.

But then I seen a thread about someone making a rear shock tower brace, so Im wondering which promotes better handling in terms of reducing understeer.

I have a piece of 5/8 all thread that I plan on using for the rear. If I had to guess I'd say the front needs all the re-inforcement it can get being that it's a unibody ? Does that mean sense? Lol

How can I add a poll to this ?
    Last edited by M3NTAL; 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM.
    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Understeer is the problem with festivas. I have owned festis with both and I think the rear bar helped more than the front.

Just my opinion tho
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Thanks for the reply Greg.
      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

The rear strut towers are not torsional areas, when it comes to corners, all the force from the reae axle is transfered through the pivot points. So a rear strut tower bar, really only adds overall body rigidity more than direct tower bracing.
        Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
        93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
        91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
        93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
        15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
        88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

if you get an adjustable miata bar it will work with minimal modification up front.
          89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
          94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
          2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
          1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I'm pretty sure I heard Probe strut bar is a direct fit other than drilling a hole
            Previous owner of ZEFstiva

Comment

A rear bar will make the rear end more responsive. Which will reduce understeer and make it easier to oversteer by easing off the gas in a turn. I just put one in this week and I'm pleased with the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok I just put a rear one on.

-M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                  Ok I just put a rear one on.

are you kidding me???? You cut that really nice plastic??? :nono:
                  "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  There ain't no rest for the wicked
                  until we close our eyes for good.
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Come on willie theres tons of FL plastics around , i can really tell it reduces the understeer.
                    -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Come on willie theres tons of FL plastics around , i can really tell it reduces the understeer.
                      I have not seen plastic in that good of shape except for a couple of times....and you just go and cut holes in it....sheeeesh! You must be mental or something!
                      "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      There ain't no rest for the wicked
                      until we close our eyes for good.
                      I will sleep when I die!
                      I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

M3ntal, i would recomend stiffer rear springs if not already installed.... much more stability during the turn than with the stock springs.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm running FMS Springs and Kybs on all 4s I can really tell the difference with that bar, can't wait to install the all thread under the rear beam!
                          -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Here's a couple pictures of the bar we built for my car. The horizontal cross bar will be a triangle when finished and have mounting point on the floor as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm running FMS Springs and Kybs on all 4s I can really tell the difference with that bar, can't wait to install the all thread under the rear beam!
                              i mean stiffer than that... i have FMS springs in Scrappy and when i added my helper springs, the rear became MUCH more responsive and the car was more willing to rotate (lateraly, not from sway).
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X