Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is any one else breaking/wearing out steering racks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will see if i have any pics.

Imagine putting a slice of pvc pipe in there around the geared shaft. Well cutting that into 2 pieces made it to where nothing had to be taken apart.
    -Greg
    Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
    BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
    Redneck Engineer
    FOTY - '09
    5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

do you remember the dia and thickness of the tube used?
      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaB6TG25MR View Post
        do you remember the dia and thickness of the tube used?
        I used a solid piece and turned it on my lathe. I just measured the diameter of the steering rack inside and the shaft.

Sorry i didn't document much. I just fix stuff ad roll with it.

Most here dog my ways so i keep alot to myself.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Just so happens I have access to a lathe and delrin. But I'm wondering if perhaps brass wouldn't be an even better substitute, add a few setscrews to tighten it up to zero play with it still being able to slide OK... man, I have too many projects :/ but at least this one should be easy.

The drivers side can be adjusted as is, it has a large locknut with a smaller 'adjusting' nut inside that pushes on a spring that keeps constant pressure on the rack. I'd think if that was loose you'd see a lot of play in your steering wheel.
          ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
          91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
          1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
          2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

broke another rack guess im gonna have make one of these bushings....

Comment

The rack itself snapped in two ?? !

bushing link, another car

Last edited by Movin; 04-30-2012, 09:46 AM.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Movin, I read through about 90% of that. Very interesting to see how someone rigs up "nonstandard" solutions. We're already doing that sort of thing and it will become more common as regular and borrowed parts sources may fade away.

Thanks,

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

not the rack housing the bushing on the outer drivers side is cracked againg allowing a 3*-5* varation on toe. makes for a vicious shimmy while cruising.

Comment

Thanks, I was hoping the rack was not that weak.

that link ^^I was only showing the bushing fab and install.
                    The rest is a little different than we have.

I like Europa's idea to install the bushing, I think he means
                    you could do it in the car with only the boots and inners pulled??

If you get the mounting brackets can a PS rack be installed ?
                    They have bigger components I believe, may be a stronger unit?

Comment

What about a Capri steering rack? They're all power rack, but maybe are better built to deal with those loads? I have one or two laying around here I could measure up for you if you'd like.

Miata.net has a writeup for de-powering the Miata rack, it should be very similar to the capri rack
                      1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
                      High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
                      Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

pvc is a pretty good idea and super cheap... ill look for my old junk steering rack to get some measurements and see what i can fab up... thanks for the link

i dont think the rack will have to come out to install them. iirc once the inner tie rods are off its all the same size end to end

ill see what i can do with pcv first... i already have my steering head "clearanced" to fit my tranny.
                        Last edited by fastivaB6TG25MR; 04-30-2012, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I agree with Greg. I think the high HP and abuse are taking a toll on your chassis. You guys with the modded B6t and BPt cars are becoming the pioneers of the Festy world.
                          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Probably need to find all the pieces and get them out? The way they are made
                            it might spit the chunks into the boot.

Comment

we are actually into replacing the steering rack and seems like no one has them available, even remanufactured

OReilly can rebuild mine with 2-3-who knows weeks turnaround...
                              rusEfi - DIY ECU
                              93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

Comment

i can order a new one for $300 from wold pac but i can buy a parts car for $300 so not worth it to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X