Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is any one else breaking/wearing out steering racks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
    Miata.net has a writeup for de-powering the Miata rack,
    Could you link to that? I took apart a Neon rack to totally depower it, but never finished before the engine blew and it went byebye. If it's anything like that, I wouldn't attempt it without a welder and grinder to put the rack back together again solidly.

But if you do have those, it's an easy thing to do in the grand scheme. Unless you're talking about completely swapping the guts out with those from a manual rack. That I probably would never bother with. Just pop it open, split and remove the hydraulic seal and weld the case back together. Done.

Oh, and if you can confirm that it will physically fit and bolt up, I would be easily persuaded to grab a reman to depower for my new Festy and do a writeup with pics. As light as they are, they could do with some ratio quickening even with no power assist.

Here is a pic of the neon rack and the split seal is shown too. It's really easy once you get it apart. It's obvious what to do.
    Last edited by sketchman; 04-30-2012, 03:19 PM. Reason: Pixxors.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I just take the PS lines off and plug 'em. Never seems any harder than a manual rack that way, just usually has a quicker ratio.

If the Miata or XR2 racks fit and can use the correct hardware to align the car, either one probably has a quicker ratio than the Festiva, so I'm game for a swap, even doing it my way.

Comment

No need for cutting/welding, at least on the Miata rack. Here's think link:

Flyin' Miata is the world leader in Miata performance and well-engineered, proven Miata MX5 components. We offer parts for a full range of Mazda Miata, MX5 and Eunos Roadsters vehicles.

The Capri rack looks extremely similar to that design externally so I'm going to guess it's very similar internally as well. I have one that I can pull apart, if I find the time, & we'll see what's inside it.

It's supposed to lighten it up more than a simple plug or line loop, as you're still pumping stuff around then
        1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
        High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
        Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

Flyin' Miata is the world leader in Miata performance and well-engineered, proven Miata MX5 components. We offer parts for a full range of Mazda Miata, MX5 and Eunos Roadsters vehicles.

The Capri rack looks extremely similar to that design externally so I'm going to guess it's very similar internally as well. I have one that I can pull apart, if I find the time, & we'll see what's inside it.

It's supposed to lighten it up more than a simple plug or line loop, as you're still pumping stuff around then
          I just drain the fluid and then put about an ounce back in it. Never had trouble, but I've only done it 2-3 times.

Comment

Just talked to my buddy - he depowered his Capri rack & said it was almost the same as the one in the Miata guide. He had it looped, and said there was moderate improvement in steering effort after totally de-powering it.

I'll get some measurements from the racks I have - might be a few days, I'm delivering an engine to the other side of the state tomorrow.

Rocketchips!

Comment

I look forward to it. There's a Miata and a Capri at the yard, and racks are $42. I need to replace mine anyway, and I'd rather do it with a quicker rack, especially if it's close in weight. I'll suffer the weight for a faster steering response.

If I needed new tie rod ends, I'd go buy heim joints and swap everything at once, too. But they're perfect, and I have a new set of Aspire ones, too.

Comment

I've rebuilt a few festy racks. Very simple. I'll do a write up soon
                -Greg
                Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                Redneck Engineer
                FOTY - '09
                5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I don't think the Miata rack will work, at least not mount easily anyway. It mounts forward on the engine cradle ahead of the engine. (rwd chassis)The Festiva and Capri are both BF chassis I would expect them to be much closer if not the same, mounting wise

Rocketchips!

Comment

I don't think the Miata rack will work, at least not mount easily anyway. It mounts forward on the engine cradle ahead of the engine. (rwd chassis)The Festiva and Capri are both BF chassis I would expect them to be much closer if not the same, mounting wise
                    Cools, there's a Capri XR2 there, too. Probably still has the B6T in it as well.

Comment

i now know why he used schedule 40 pvc. i have been working on just sanding to reduce diameter with the pipe in my drill press like i made control arm bushings. it started at 34.5mm needs to be 29.5mm. over a half hour of sanding im only at 31.5mm and thats with 80 grit. ill get back at it tomorrow, im pooped... ill also post dimensions tomorrow, i forgot my measurement sheet. im using 3/4" schedule 40 pipe with butt connectors at a cost of all 3 parts under $2
                      I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Cool.
                        Last edited by sketchman; 05-01-2012, 07:06 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Got a reman capri rack coming. It was uber cheap, so if it won't work for the Festiva, I'll depower it for my 323.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

nice... i finally finished my bushings... i need a lathe... this turning stuff on a drill press stuff has got to stop... write up coming soon...
                            I know its a piece of crap but im still faster...and its 100% legal!!!!!

Comment

Here if anyone wants one.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/250874537710

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                                Here if anyone wants one.
                                http://www.ebay.com/itm/250874537710
                                Life time warranty, eh? Might be worth it. Capri have a shorter ratio than Festiva?

Comment

Working...
                                X