tire size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size?

im thinking about going with a 13" tire on a stock 323 steel wheel with a stock festy setup. my question is should i go with a 155 80 13 or 175 60 13 or is there a better choice? whats the pros & cons of the different sizes tks in advance danny
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

I'd go with the 175 in either a 70 or if available, 60 series.I'm running 175-70-13 on my silver 90.
    My original 13's were 155-80's I like the 70's due to being slightly shorter and wider
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 02-01-2012, 04:19 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I love my 155/80s on Green Car, but the 175/70s on chuck are more stable. If you can find the 175/60s for a good deal that should be a great size to run
      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

tks j & j !

Comment

I have 175/70's on 323 steels , they ride good. Everyone tells me 165/65's are better, but I can't find any around here at a desent price.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

+1 on 175/60 for stability/handling, or 175/70 for the better ride. Either is better than 155/80. 175/60-13 is somewhat limited in selection. Tire Rack doesn't list any at all.

Here is a 175/60x13: http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...1+77h+bsw.html
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

tks

Comment

For a really good 175/70-13 all season, I'd strongly recommend this Kumho Solus KR-21: http://www.kumhousa.com/tire/categor...2-F117F7942A2D

They do everything well and last forever.
                Last edited by TominMO; 02-01-2012, 06:59 AM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Not to hijack the thread, but i think it relates to the subject.

How much leeway does one have generally with the width size? for example jumping from 155 to 175 seems like a lot

ADMIN @ http://ironjuggernauts.com/forum.php?referrerid=1

Comment

Tread width and fit depends on at least four things:

-tire height (aspect ratio) consider this first, or your width comparisons mean nothing
                    -wheel offset
                    -if your car is lowered
                    -if you have Festiva spec or Aspire spec rear struts

There are more factors, but I think these are primary.

As for 175/60-13s, here is what Tires-easy has right now:

Reifen für PKWs und Transporter extrem günstig. Wir bieten Ihnen Autoreifen äußerst vorteilhaft! Klitzekleine Preise, versandkostenfreie Lieferung schon ab 2 Reifen, günstiger Montageservice für Reifen fast überall in der Schweiz, unkomplizierte Bestellung, flexible Zahlungsabwicklung, sehr große Auswahl

Plenty of Falkens left, but their price keeps going up. I like mine when I had them on the front for a few weeks. Switched to all snows now and will mount all Falkens around the end of March.

And for 165/65-13:

Reifen für PKWs und Transporter extrem günstig. Wir bieten Ihnen Autoreifen äußerst vorteilhaft! Klitzekleine Preise, versandkostenfreie Lieferung schon ab 2 Reifen, günstiger Montageservice für Reifen fast überall in der Schweiz, unkomplizierte Bestellung, flexible Zahlungsabwicklung, sehr große Auswahl

Funny, these split the difference between 175/70 and 175/60:

I've always had good service from Tires-easy every one of my three orders in the past two years.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-01-2012, 07:45 AM.
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

I'd still recommend the Kumhos. Known good-quality tires and much higher treadwear value (640).

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Tom could be right. I'm liking the 175/70-13 size a bit more myself these days.

Karl

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          Tom could be right. I'm liking the 175/70-13 size a bit more myself these days.

Karl
                          I've got these tires in 185/70x13 on my Aspire and love 'em. I don't try to drive them as sport-car tires, since that size does not permit that. These same Kumhos in 185/60x14 on my Festy are driven much more aggressively. I've put a bunch of miles on them in 2+ years and they still look great.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            +1 on 175/60 for stability/handling, or 175/70 for the better ride. Either is better than 155/80. 175/60-13 is somewhat limited in selection. Tire Rack doesn't list any at all.

Here is a 175/60x13: http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...1+77h+bsw.html
                            Not a bad price per tire, but $110 to ship a set of four? OUCH! lol.
                            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Okay, building on what Tom has said about the Solus KR21, check these out:

175/70-13 Solus and ecoSolus:

And the 165/70-13 Solus, sized better IMO and cheaper to boot:

Compare prices, mileage, number of tires available, and again, IMO the 165/70-13 will fit on a Festiva better than the 175/70-13, especially if you are running 5" wide rims.

Consider getting five or six tires just in case one of them gets a non-pluggable hole (it happened to me with one of my expensive Nokian all season snows!). One can serve as a spare and be rotated in, while six would be perfect for replacing the fronts when they wear down too much.

Finally, check out Tires-easy shipping quotes. Around $50 for a set of four of the 165/70-13s to me. I've found their shipping to always be reasonable, and quick too.

Karl
                              Last edited by Safety Guy; 02-01-2012, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X